New to cnc looking to buy

I just retired from law enforcement, I’m thinking about buying the 5 pro 4x4. I have never used a cnc machine. Does any have any suggestions on how I should start or any advice ?

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I run the Shapeoko 4XXL and never had any experience with a CNC before either. I have been running my machine for about 4 months now and have learned a ton! The vast majority of learning how to use a CNC is to figure out the designing using the software. Carbide Create is free and is very beginner friendly. There are a whole bunch of videos you can watch and learn with. Here is the link:

https://my.carbide3d.com/#Design_with_Carbide_Create

There are many helpful people here in the forum as well that can pretty well answer any question, design issue, etc that you may have.

5 Likes

My suggestion has always been that one should decide on a sample/typical project which is reasonably simple, then draw it up in a tool which is suited for it, then decide on materials and tooling and work up toolpaths and get a 3D preview — if you are successful doing this, and it’s an approach to creating which you enjoy, then a machine is probably a good fit.

Which tool you use for drawing/CAD (Computer Aided Design) depends on what sort of work you wish to do and how you wish to approach it.

Most folks use Carbide Create as @Spyd suggested:

it’s included with the machine, and well-suited to most projects which folks use the machines for and how most folks work. I wrote up a very basic bit on it at:

Note though that one can just draw stuff physically, photograph it or scan it, then trace it, either by hand or automatically:

Some folks use 3D CAD/CAM such as Autodesk Fusion 360 — we offer Alibre Atom3D:

If you’ll let us know what sort of things you want to make and how you wish to approach it we will do our best to advise.

4 Likes

As Will said, let us know what tickles your fancy. (in CNC :laughing:)

If you can imagine it, it can be done with the caveat of gaining the experience to get there.

Have fun, and don’t get frustrated. There is great support from Carbide and everyone here that is willing to help.

Good luck

5 Likes

Buying a CNC is a great thing but it also depends on your woodworking experience. If you are an experienced woodworker than it is just another notch in your belt. However if you have no woodworking experience you likely do not have the infrastructure to feed the CNC. You need as a minimum a TableSaw to cut your project lumber. You can poor boy it with a shooting board and a circular saw. You could also use hand tools but they take a long time to master and to use. Plus they will wear you out.

So the CNC is a great thing but a steep learning curve. The curve may be steep but very do able. Everyone here on this forum likely came from a zero experience to full speed so it is very possible to get to a working knowledge in a reasonable amount of time. There are a ton of videos on youtube and other platforms about the basics and suggest you watch them before purchasing a machine.

C3D has a lot of competitors. I am on several of their forums and have found that C3D has superior customer service and their machines have superior features. There are a lot of cnc machine makers but the difference is their customer service. You can buy the cheap Chinese “Engravers” and they have absolutely no support. There is Inventables and they have a good forum and good customer service but their machines do not have the features of C3D. Then there is the InfinityOne machines again good machines but the features is the difference for me.

Now there are two levels of CNC machines. The first is the hobby level and the SO5 is at the top of the hobby sphere and may cross over to the second level. The second level are the industrial cnc machines. Obviously the industrial machines have more power and more features but also at a much greater price.

So for a hobby level or a light manufacturing level the SO5 is a great machine. However if you are going into production it is limited by speed. In a business time is money. Even if you are going to sell at craft shows or other venues an SO5 would meet that sweet spot of money/productivity.

Good Luck with your retirement. :us: Salute to you for your service as a Law Enforcement Officer.

4 Likes

Well, here’s something that you don’t hear on here very much.

Buy one of the used machines available right here on the forum. Use it as a stepping stone before you invest in a brand new 5PRO machine.

There’s some purty good buys, and when you’re ready you can always sell it and get something out of it.

Search on this forum for the key words “FOR SALE:” I know you’ll find 3 recents machines all set up.

5 Likes

Thank you guys for responding. I have been doing a lot of research and video watching. One of the reasons I came to C3D was because people spoke and speak highly of the forms and customer service.

I am wanting to of course make the first responders and military sign because of my background in both, but I also want to do other projects cutting boards, noodle boards, daycare puzzles and toys ( because I co-own two) and those wooden toys are very expensive.

I understand that you’re only as good as the equipment and dedication you put into your business and projects. Again thank you guys and I will definitely keep y’all posted from the start of my journey starting around the end of the month.

Thank you all

3 Likes

I purchased an inexpensive CNC and sold it to buy a SO4 pro after just about six months. I did start with different software because I mostly do 3d work and I love that software…so I cannot speak to the Carbide Create product. But I love my machine. I have had zero issues with it. None. Zippo. I still follow C3D forums because there is a ton of useful information here, and the folks will shoot straight with you. I have a laser mounted as well, and Carbide Motion doesn’t seem to support laser work. That frustrates some folks so they use other Gsenders, but it doesn’t bother me because I like CM quite well. But here is a nugget for you…where ever you go people will tell you that their machines are the best. It’s a pychological factor of self affirmation. There are a lot of great machines and software out there, but I would still recommend this company.

3 Likes

For the signs see:

What sort of cutting boards do you mean?

If glued up, then a CNC will let one cut up very small scrap pieces to make one.

Is a Noodle Board a stove cover?

https://www.toolstoday.com/t-video-how-to-make-a-stove-cover-using-your-cnc

We just discussed making rattles:

and puzzles:

and there’s a section on Toys/Games at:

One of your considerations should be the machine size you will require, bigger is not always better. I am partial to the 5 Pro as it is my choice of machines among the Carbide line-up due to all ball screw design. no belts. After using it for the past 7 months I am still in awe with its quality and rigidity. I chose the 4 x 2 as it was the perfect size for what I cut. However, there are greater benefits being its size vs the 4 x 4 in just what I require. The 4 x 4 has a footprint of roughly 60 x 60 and needs to have space on the side to reach the back of the table and to put a small table on the side for tools and a computer, etc. Adding an enclosure makes it even larger and more costly. If you are cutting smaller pieces the gantry has a long way to travel requiring more time along with noise to complete smaller jobs. Unless you are planning on cutting large jobs exceeding 48 x 24 you may want to consider a smaller machine such as the 4 x 2. I believe most of the members with the 5 Pro probably went with the 4 x 4, however, if you look through the “What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?” thread it is almost rare to find anything beyond 24" x 48" (What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?) Additionally, you can cut 48 x 48 on a 4 x 2 by tiling if you need to (providing you don’t have an enclosure or to is up against a wall. Don’t get me wrong, if I was cutting furniture, large signs, decor, or other for my business I would definitely go with the 4 x 4! It just makes sense however to consider what you plan to cut in choosing size. Just as another point, with the learning curve, and your need to have the machine perform as it should, I would suggest buying the Pro 5 within warranty and with the best support and all ball screws. Just my opinion, others may agree or disagree. There is a lot of experience and talent greater than mine participating within this community.

4 Likes

… is not a representative sample or a very good surveying tool. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.