New to CNC, Rhino to Carbide/cut help

New to CNC and Carbide, created a shape in Rhino7 and have no idea how to get from there to cutting. Anyone willing to convert the Rhino file to a file that I can practice with in Carbide and cut.

Didn’t know what file to upload here so I did DXF

PotSliceDXF.dxf (189.2 KB)

Could you post at least a screengrab of the 3D model?

The 2D DXF representation doesn’t seem very helpful:

I suspect that you’ll have better results exporting an STL and using a 3D CAM software such as Carbide Create Pro or MeshCAM.

I tried importing to FreeCad and exporting a .stl mesh. Imported to CCPro and no image showed, could it be because of all the open vectors? Just curious…

It’s a 3d dxf file, so good luck.

Here is the screenshot from Rhino.

I am familiar with Rhino and doing lots of 3D printing, just making the move to CNC. Not the same world. I just noticed my drawing is in inches. That may complicate things?

Is that good or bad?

3d dxf files are useless, as far as I know. So as Wil suggested, export your model out of Rhino as a stl file to work with. I don’t use carbide create, so I can’t help you there. MeshCAM works well with stl files. My preffered 3d modeling and CAM software is Fusion360.

For a 3D file, you will need a 3D file format.

While DXF files can have a 3rd dimension, Carbide Create treats them as 2D, so only imports a single (overhead in this case) view, and in the free/bundled version lacks angled/curved tooolpath options.

As noted, using a 3D CAM tool would be best.

Does your license for RhinoCAD include RhinoCAM?

Or, as noted, export an STL and use MeshCAM:

or Carbide Create Pro:

Thanks lots of info.
I did download MeshCAM to get me started, there is no RhinoCAM for mac which is a bummer.
I am bouncing around in the software to become familiar.

Thank You

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.