New to CNC software

I’ve been watching YouTube videos until my head spins. I’ve learnt alot about design and tool path and feel somewhat confident with that. My problem is I can’t find any files that I thought I saved. The YT videos go a bit too fast for me.

I’d like to see a step by step list if one exists. I’m a fairly talented woodworker but computers confuse me.

By the way I have the Shapeoko 4xxl and looking forward to using it.

What sort of project do you wish to make?

How do you wish to approach it?

For decorative work see:

For a rabbeted box see:

Depending on your OS you can search from the My PC for Windows to find the file name you saved. I have a CNC_Router folder on my desktop. I have many sub folders but the main one is Project_Files. then in the Project_Files I make a folder for each project. This makes it simple to find and manage. You can also put all your images and background material in the same folder as a project to keep it all together. You need a system or before long you will have a mess. Use what makes sense for you but this helps me to stay organized and find what I am looking for.

If under Windows the default for saved files is Documents. You can change that setting if you want. I save everything to the Desktop and then move it elsewhere if needed.

If you are looking for ready to cut projects check out cutrocket.com. It is a C3D website where there are a lot of ready to go projects and they will help you get your feet wet.

There is no substitute for doing the work in CC. Youtube has some very good as well as very bad advise. So dive in and start trying. The school of hard knocks the a good teacher. I have a PHD from the school of Hard Knocks Magna Cum Laude. That means I have extra knots on top of my head from getting my PHD.

Thanks for the info. The main problem is that I never had any computer training. I get lost when things aren’t right in front of me, but I’m a fast learner.

Thanks again, sometimes I just need a hint or a push.

Darrin:

As computer programs (whatever they are) offer more and more options the probability of “I get lost when things aren’t right in front of me” increases exponentially.

Therefore I suggest documenting these processes in your own words. And of course these personalized instructions will need to be modified as changes / improvements are introduced.

Welcome to the world. It may or may not be worth the effort. That will be up to you.

Bill

2 Likes

You may find this basic writeup of Carbide Create helpful:

If you have any questions or get stuck w/ a file or project feel free to ask here or at support@carbide3d.com, and if need be, send in the file to either place.

I too am a woodworker first and CNC Guy later. When saving new files, there will always appear a dialog box asking what you want the filename to be and where you want it stored. I always start by sending files to the desktop. For whatever mental reason, this makes it easy for me because then I can go look at the desktop, see the related files (original JPG, SVG, c2d, and photos) and group them into a Folder. A bit like sweeping the shop floor.

When you relaunch Carbide Create and attempt to use the Recent Files feature, CC will not find it if you’ve moved it. But if you open the moved file from the Folder you placed it in, CC will remember from then on. CNCing takes a different thought process than woodworking. But it is not an impossible task.

1 Like

Thanks again to everyone. I felt like an idiot with my file issues, but all is well now. Me not being computer savvy and watching YT videos that were 2-3 years old. I didn’t realize V6 used .NC and V7 uses .c2d. Just did a test project and everything worked great.

1 Like

Dont’ feel bad. I’ve been using computers for 40 yrs & it still happens to me too.
When I save something & it’s not where I thought it should be, I just go back to the program & try to save it again, I don’t actually hit OK to save, but I look at the folder where it wants to save it. Usually the previous save went to that folder. And you should see the file that you previously saved.

2 Likes

A further consideration here is that the File | Save (or Open) dialog is a miniature subset of Windows File Explorer, so you can actually use it to do file manipulations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.