New version of CC running super slow

Is this happening to anyone else? blank canvas and it’s still seconds before my screen catches up to what i did.

Its not my computer, 3k gaming pc

Windows is constantly updating and they take two steps forward and sometimes that makes you go three steps back. So open task manager on Win 10 or 11 by hitting CTRL ALT and Delete at the same time and pick task manager. There is an option to put task manager on top of everything. You can make the window small enough to see what you are doing in CC. Then when the slowness starts see if your CPU, Memory or Disk is running at high rates.

I monitor the forum quite often and from past experiences of others usually problems turn out to be isolated the particular environment on your machine. Not always but mostly it is something on your system.

If you are rendering complicated files with hundreds of vectors that can be quite slow to calculate tool paths because of the number of calculations it is making. But just starting up CC and it is slow look for something local.

First, try the standard computer troubleshooting technique:

• reboot
  • check for updates
  • shutdown and wait a bit
  • power up and verify that the computer is done downloading updates

If that doesn’t allow things to run well further try:

• create new admin user
  • log out and back in as new user
  • install and try program under the new user

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to assist.

All operating systems run from what is called a kernel. The kernel is the very heart of the OS. By default on Windows when you shutdown the kernel state is preserved and when you power back on the original kernel state is restored. This makes your machine boot faster and start up the desktop faster. That is why it is the default behavior. However if you have a problem with the kernel it keeps propagating itself with the problem even after doing the shutdown. A restart is different. a restart clears the memory and does not preserve the kernel state from memory. The only way to change this behavior is to change the “Fast Start” option in Windows settings. Now if you turn off fast start it takes longer to start up and longer to shutdown. This time is slightly longer but on modern machines we are talking seconds.

So you might try either a restart or changing the fast start option to see if anything improves.

In more modern versions of Windows you do not have to restart your machine nearly as much as in the old days. The modern Windows kernel is modular and things can be loaded and unloaded internally. However if something is corrupted it stays corrupted until you restart the kernel. The reason to have to restart is the kernel state is not saved and when the machine boots a new kernel state is established with the new modules added to the kernel that you may have updated. Most people do not there is a difference between shutdown and restart on Windows. On my Windows 11 machine I turned off fast boot option and let my system renew itself every time i boot up.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.