Newbie - Carving Sculpting Family Crest

Howdy friends, MRod here from Colorado.
New CNC, expereienced wood worker. Glad to be joining this community.

Question -
I am trying to wrap my head around carving/sculpting a family crest with 3 dimensional carving into oak. on the Shape 5 pro.

I am looking for a reference tutorial that can give me the steps to approach this image attached. At first glance I would think all of the bold areas are the deep cuts and the white are maybe the pocket? cuts. But then there is all this detail that should be carved in 2d right?

So not looking for an answer here as I am sure the design work I need to do with layers perhaps is extensive. But rather a tutorial on the same.

Thanks friends.
Michael

In order to sculpt this it will be necessary to either:

• source a version of the file which has light/dark mapped to height/depth
  • re-draw each element so that a given section can be modeled in 3D using Carbide Create Pro

An expedient option would be to trace the pixel image using the Image Trace option:

but the file is a pixel image with transparency, so first open it in a pixel editor:

and flatten it

Ok

which previews as:

If one wishes, one may import the original as a background layer:

and which may then be used as a guide for re-drawing/re-creating elements.

Attached as a v7 file.

famcrest w fam names_v7.c2d (1.9 MB)

1 Like

Wow- That was the best solution response I have seen in my life!

Thanks Will Adams!

@WillAdams 2 - Follow up questions.

1. I have these bits on order. Is 15o bit in the picture attacjhed equivalent to the Amana 45771-K

2. what are some basic guidelines to cut down the time for this work from 901 minutes?

Thanks!

61IaO0UuOhL.SX385

No idea about endmill equivalency — the Amana shown is from:

You can adjust which tool is used for pocket clearing which may reduct time, and feeds and speeds could be optimized per:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.