Newbie checking in with a few questions

Hello everyone! I am pretty sure this is where this belongs but if not feel free to move it admins

I recently acquired a shapeoko xxl and am super pumped about it. I have been woodworking for close to 20 years and dreaming of owning a CNC for the past 5 or so (I watch a lot of instagram/ youtube videos). I am super overwhelmed with everything at the moment but ill figure most of it out as I go. I di have a few questions though so if yall have any insight please let me know.

First I am pretty sure this is a shapeoko 3 is there somewhere on the machine that tells me what production model? and along with that I keep seeing talk about pre 2019 black friday sale when I am looking at thing like the bit runner/setter/zero. How do I tell which board this has (pre or post BF2019)?

second, was going to ask about best way to make sure it was square and if there were test carves I could do, I just found some posts about that, so I will research into those a little.

third, is there anything I need to make sure I look for wear and tear wise before I get into this thing? Any components that are prone to fail or need tightening that I can check? I dont know the full extent of its prior use but I do know that it was only light use.

lastly, is there anything you guys would strongly recommend to newbie you back when you started? a specific tool/mod that was a game changer or a way of doing things that drastically made your carves better?

Thanks for the help, I know I have a lot to figure out but I will get there eventually!

1 Like

I’ll leave this here for now, and let other folks comment

2 Likes
  1. Yes, Shapeoko 3 XXL, the last production model (has Z-Plus Z-axis and inductive homing switches)

2. Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9E3VEYlfwA — basically it’s a matter of working systematically from large–small:

• level the table
    • ensure endplates are level
    • ensure Y-axis rails are level and parallel to each other
    • ensure that X-axis gantry is level and square to the Y-axis rails
    • ensure that the Z-axis carriage is level and plumb and square to the X-axis

Typical test cutting file is a:

1. Typical issues are all covered in the Machine Operating Checklist: Machine operating checklist to wit:

In addition to @Julien 's wonderful ebook, everything you should need to know ought to be on: https://docs.carbide3d.com/ — big thing is decide on some basic, simple, straight-forward project and do it — then build on that, working forward from successes, learning from any issues or mistakes or problems.

What sort of projects do you wish to make? How do you wish to approach them?

3 Likes

Welcome to the most mind bending wonderful experience. There is a learning curve but almost everyone on the forum has overcome the curve. Just start simple and build. Dont be afraid to fail. There will be failures but that leads to sucess.

A basic bit set would include 201,301,302,102 and 112 bits. The 102 and 112 take a 1/8 inch collet.

Your pic looks like a c3d router and may have the collets if you got what came with the machine. C3d sells good bits and other accessories that are competative in price.

You can get the current Carbide Create and Carbide Motion at the bottom of page on carbide3d.com.

For ready made projects go to cutrocket.com to get started.

Good luck and ask questions all you want just try to figure to out first. The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

5 Likes

Thanks! I have found a lot of tutorial type deals but not that compete. I will read through.

I don’t see auto homing switches so this is not the newest model. Is there a way to look at the control board and tell if it is the pre black Friday sale or post black Friday sale. Seems like some add-ons need that info. and that is what I am unsure of.

Amazing! I kept seeing peoples cut pieces but hadt found the description of the layout. Guess this will give me some practice creating and cutting.

As for personal use I have no real plans other than just playing around, getting decent, maybe making some stuff for friends and family. I became the coach of the underwater robotics team at my high school which is how I cam into possession of this thing. So I will be cutting files that the students create and probably helping them create files since the students who really knew the machine have moved away.

awesome. I will dig through the “extras” that are all just in a box. Since I received
this thing used I have no idea what came with it and what didn’t so thank you for that. And thanks for the general starting bits. i have a few random ones that came with it so I will try to identify them and compare.

1 Like

Your machine has homing switches — all XLs and XXLs and SO3s produced since Summer 2016 do.

It has to have the expansion adapter, since you have the new inductive homing switches, so plugging in a BitZero or BitSetter is easy.

The one concern is if you have an external adapter (6-pin) for a BitZero — is there an un-used connector at the opposite end from the USB and power inputs?

For robotics, I’d suggest looking into:

http://commonwealthrobotics.com/BowlerStudio/Welcome-To-BowlerStudio/

I didn’t remember seeing the homing switches but you are 100% correct. I got home and looked and sure enough, they are there. took a look at the board as well, I do have two empty spots next to the homing switches, and there is a 6 pin connector that reaches outside the control box. Looks like I am good to go if I decide to add those things. Thank you for the help! I will definitely check out that site you linked.

2 Likes

Please let us know how Bowler Studio works out for you — it’s something I’ve been curious about for a long while.

I believe it’s based on OpenSCAD which in its BlockSCAD form I’m quite fond of:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.