Diamond-Circle-Square Calibration file

The last one I posted:

no longer opens properly in current versions of Carbide Create, so here is how to draw up and assign toolpaths to one.

Begin by launching Carbide Create, going into Job Setup, and creating a 4" x 4" stock area with the origin set at the center:

3 Likes

Draw a 2" x 2" square from the center:

Rotate it 45 degrees:

Draw a circle from the center origin which has a radius of 1.75":

Draw a 4" x 4" square from the center origin:

Offset that to the outside by a bit more than the largest endmill you plan to use to cut the file with:

1 Like

Switch to the Toolpaths pane, select the diamond and the offset rounded rectangle:

and assign a Pocket toolpath down to the desired depth:

1 Like

Select the circle and the outer rounded offset geometry and assign a Pocket toolpath which starts at the bottom of the previous pocket and cuts down as deeply as desired:

Repeat for the square:

The file should preview as desired:

Attached: diamond-circle-square.c2d (59.3 KB)

3 Likes

While that works to test the machine’s basic 3-axis functionality, with the BitSetter now being an integral part of the Nomad and the just announced Shapeoko Pro, a file which tests tool changes would seem to be in order — this may be easily prepared using a few Boolean operations and some suitable planning.

The tools to be used will be:

• #112 .0625" Flat Cutter
  • #102 .125" Flat Cutter
  • #201 .25" Flat Cutter
1 Like

The geometry used for the Boolean operation needs to overlap by at least the endmill radii to ensure that corners are cut cleanly, so:

(using the #112 with a radius of 0.03125")

Duplicate all the geometry and drag the duplicates back into registration.

Select the diamond and the surrounding rectangle for the Boolean operation:

and choose Boolean Intersection:

Select the new shape and shift click on a duplicate of the diamond to make it the key object and choose Boolean Subtraction:

resulting in:

Repeat for the other side with a suitable offset for the #102 endmill:

1 Like

Repeat for the circle horizontally:

1 Like

Select each piece of geometry and assign a suitable toolpath:

Until one arrives at toolpaths which preview as:

diamond-circle-square_toolchange.c2d (389.6 KB)

2 Likes

What is this toolpath meant to cut that isn’t “air”?

The square cut is a profile cut which removes the calibration blank from the surrounding stock.

Then something has to give. :smiley: Stock size is 4" x 4".

I’ve set my stock size to 4.2" x 4.2" x 0.75", because 3/4" MDF is in stock always. Then each depth change is set to 0.2" which leaves a final step for the square. Then I’m not cutting down to the wasteboard.

Anyway thanks for what you do. +1

EDIT: If anyone is interested in the Vectric equivalent file. (REMOVE “.ZIP”. It is NOT a ZIP file.)
DiamondCircleSquare2020-12-14-1_notZIP.crv.zip (217.5 KB)

3 Likes

My assumption was folks would use a larger piece — it’s easy to when the origin is centered.

I just swapped my original steel core belts last night for whatever is in the maintenance kits as of Dec 2020 and I’m having all sorts of issues. Is there a good tutorial out there to cover what to do when the results of your Diamong-circle-square test produces a given result?

It’s a matter of verification usually — I start by cutting a calibration file and adjusting for belt stretch:

then cut a diamond-circle square file — if it’s not within a reasonable tolerance check the axes where it isn’t — could you post a photo of your cut marked up w/ the dimensions?

Naturally if your new belts aren’t good let us know and we’ll send you a replacement set.

@WillAdams I posted a separate thread to not clutter this one up.

1 Like

Hi All. I’ve made a parameterized Fusion360 version of the diamond-circle-square file where you can set the material thickness and square sizes heres:

I’ve also taken the time to make tool-paths that will minimize the possibility of tool deflection. Please Note you will have to identify your own feeds and speed appropriate for the material you are cutting. The file is currently set up for 19.4mm PVC.

Fusion File: Fusion

6 Likes