XXL Trouble Diagnostic Cuts?

I’m thinking my machine needs a tune up and I’m trying to figure out what’s causing my problem.

I’ve noticed that my machine will leave super thin bits of material especially when cutting curves.

So for example if a 1/8" endmill is supposed to make 2 passes around the inside of the letter O, in between where the endmill made its passes there will be a thin skin sticking up in a couple of places.

Is there any kind of “diagnostic test cuts” I can do to test the accuracy of the machine and figure out exactly what maintenance needs to be done? I could make those cuts then upload some pictures to show the problem a bit better.

The thin slivers are probably more easily addressed by adjusting stepover.

Classic test cut is:

1 Like

Thanks, I read over the diamond circle square thread. I’ll try to set that up tonight and see how it goes.

I did a quick test yesterday and this is what’s happening:

Adjust stepover.

With acrylic it helps to run a second full-depth finishing pass.

From my limited understanding, stepover is a feed rate parameter and the machine should fully mill out the pocket area regardless what the stepover? The exception seems to be if the stepover is too large, but then there should be a perfectly consistent sliver when I make an O (I’ll test this).

I used the stock tool profile for a 1/8" single flute armana end mill.

I could run a second pass but it seems like there’s some kind of underlying problem.

In theory, reality is just like theory, except in practice, it isn’t.

0.062" is the stepover, it’s about half the diameter of the end mill. what would you recommend using instead?

It varies — try smaller values until you get a reasonably even coverage/appearance for the toolpath preview lines.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the tips, I’ll play around with it tonight. Currently working on installing bitsetter and carbide touch probe :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.