Newbie - Snowflake Intricacies Question

I’ve only been cutting for a few days. I’d like to make some simple snowflake designs for my son to paint as ornaments on my Shapeoko 4 XXL. I want to cut out the center details in addition to cutting out the entire frame. However, the center details see to be too narrow to cut out while maintaining the proper shape (the total size of the image is about 4"x4").
I was playing around with the 1/8" 102 bit and the 90 V Bit, but I can’t see to get the cuts close enough to the interior walls to maintain the right shape.
Any ideas to get that fine detail cutout would be greatly helpful.

Could you post the file you are working on?

Snowflake Decor.c2d (204 KB)

The size of you snowflake is too small. meaning the 1/8" bit will only cut where it will fit inside or outside the snowflake lines. To get a better detailed cut you will need to do one or both of the following steps.

Use a 1/16" bit to get into the smaller areas but the depth of cut needs to be watched for the thickness of your material.

Enlarge your snowflake large enough to get the detail you want

A third option is to put a box around the snowflake and pocket the snowflake, do an outside cut on the box and make this into a coaster. Your son can still fill in the snowflake and also pass this out as his hand made gifts to his Grandparents.

In the two above suggestions play with the bit and overall size to get an end result you like, watch in the simulation and your snowflake outline cut setup for the full cut you need.

Tip—if you are cutting this in plywood it may end up chipping out. I would do this in a good solid wood for an outline cut.

Anthony

Snowflake Decor v carve.c2d (144 KB)

This is modified for a coaster with an outline cut and advanced v carve cut on the snowflake

Anthony

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback!
I’ll see if I can get a 1/16 bit and try that route.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.