Nomad 3: Rough finish on starter project

Hello everybody,

I’ve received my Nomad 3 from a European distributor today and started with the Nomad 3 starter project (the tool organizer tray). I think I did everything as mentioned in the tutorial, but unfortunately I ended up with a pretty rough finish (not nearly as smooth as the finish of the wooden tray displayed in the tutorial).

Does anyone have an idea where I’ve messed up here?

I would like to try again with a new piece of wood (and hopefully not make the same mistake again).

Any help is really appreciated!

Have a nice day,
Bernhard

Which tool did you use? A #101 or #102?

Oh man, that’s really embarrassing. I’ve selected #102 in the software, but used the #101 tool in the machine facepalm.

Thanks a lot for the hint and sorry for the noise - I should have been more careful selecting the tool (for some reason I didn’t realize that the tools are actually labeled. So I just eyeballed the tool and selected the tool which looked similar to the one shown in the tutorial - but that was obviously the wrong one).

Thanks again for your help & your really fast reply. Very much appreciated!

1 Like

Dont punish yourself, i did the same and i am sure we’re not the only ones. Learning lessons everyday :blush:

Mistakes are going to be made. The lesson learned should to not that mistake again. As a new user you are juggling a lot of balls at once. As a beginner you will drop a few. Just keep going and soon you get the flow and sucess will follow.

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Yeah, I think it for sure takes quite a bit of time to learn the craft of CNC milling. Not sure if that’s actually true, but at least it feels a bit more complicated than 3D printing. I think that’s also partly because 3D printing is rather cheap (in terms of material cost). So, if you screw something up there, you can easily print it again without worrying too much. But as aluminum, copper, brass and wood is quite expensive (at least in Europe), it “hurts” more if you screw something up. At the moment I am doing a bit of research to find cheap materials for prototyping. I’ve read that some are using those pink insulation foams for prototyping, as they are rather cheap and pretty rigid. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.