Nomad 3 Spindle Slop

I got my Nomad 3 a year ago and have been mainly machining plastic (post machining 3D prints) and creating MDF fixtures.
I recent tried to machine .025" aluminum sheet stock and was getting +.2mm and greater final machined dimensions. Even with a conservative finishing pass of .004".
I was trying to diagnose the problem and noticed that when I grabbed and wiggled the endmill the spindle experienced a large amount of slop. (I haven’t measured this)
I’ve also noticed that the spindle, when spinning freely, is exhibiting different “tones” of chatter, like something is loose.
Is this normal? Or is this a problem with the bearings?
I put in a support request 4 days ago and haven’t had a response.

It might help support if you provide a video and maybe demonstrate and photograph your issue in accuracy. Support are “Supportive” but they will need sonething to work with.

Some of these might help.

But you should start with finger tightening the top nut.
Release the grub screws and check if the top screw can be turned by hand, and finger tighten it - refasten the grub screws.

I have had many issues with this… As you can see.

If it’s axial play, adjusting the preload might help. I’ve had to do that once and the machine has been fine after that.

If it’s radial play, you might be needing some new bearings.

1 Like

I tried to loosen the set screws, but they’re extremely tight. I don’t seem to have a hex wrench that fits the screws exactly and I’m afraid of stripping them.

Yes, its radial play.

I see a ticket from the 19th that got assigned to someone but it doesn’t seem to have been touched. We’ll get someone on it ASAP.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.