Nomad 3 Z stepper (support request)

Just talking with Support they asked that I upload a video of the problem. Let’s not worry about my poor camera skills.

It doesn’t sound as bad in this video as when I actually run the machine.

• It makes a grinding crunchy sound when it goes down (not when Z goes up).

• look at the stepper in the video. You can see it physically trying to lift itself up when it goes down. I’ve checked all bolts and they’re tight, and I can’t move it by hand, so it’s really pushing hard to do that.

• not shown but Z isn’t consistent. If I Z to base plate, fast slew to 6mm and try to slide a Mitutoyo 6mm gage under it, it will fit with a little effort. (that’s good). But then if I jog it up and then fast slew back to 6mm, the gage is loose and slides easily under. Not sure if it’s related.

• Finally since this has started, sometimes when I jog to Z in .025mm increments, it’s as if one of the steps doesn’t happen. Jog down, it moves, jog down nothing, jog down it moves.

Could it be the leadscrew nut is loose or badly adjusted?

Hows movement when powered off? Sounds like its skipping steps on the way down. I would try a deep clean and re-lube the leadscrew , anti-backlash nut and linear rail blocks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.