Nomad 883 Pro Dust Head

awesome build on this dust head… do you have any additional comments after using it for some time… I noticed your new case is that finished? same dust head?
And you were thinking to put a dust curtain on the gantry?

I am basically copying your work ordering your parts. your design looks solid.

thanks!

Hello!

The dust head was fun to design and build. It is very effect despite not having a “back”. The lack of a "back"is due to the space limitations of the Nomad 883 Pro. I experimented with several enclosure designs but none was a serious improvement. The dust head work well in anything I played with so I stuck with it.

With a vacuum going there is no real accumulation in the gantry… and it’s not a big deal to dust if off occasionally with a paint brush.

What I did find useful was removing the entire Nomad 883 Pro enclosure when I put it inside my enclosure. This allowed the new enclosure to “eat the sound” better and to have improved air flow. I did add 0.125" polycarbonate sides (using the Nomad screw holes and screws), about 3" taller than the “deck”. This prevents anything that goes flying to not make a mess… the mess is confined to the deck.

mark

2 Likes

umm, recent pics???

@mbellon

Thanks for your work on the dust head and recommendations. I just pulled the trigger and ordered my nomad 883 pro.

Question for you- forgive me if it’s a stupid question with a previously stated answer. I’ll gladly ask stupid questions until I get it.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a festool CT26 dust extractor with the Ultimate Dust Deputy Systainer Cyclone Separator Kit (meant for festool CT series of vacuum).

Based on this thread, I was thinking of upgrading the external hose to the 50mm version from festool. However wanted to ask what adapter are you using to connect to it out the back of the housing? I see 2 x 5500K17 (mcmaster part number) on the first thread and I get one of them goes to the dust head and the other would be for the back of the enclosure, however wanted to double check that is what you are in fact using with your 50mm external hose.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Salutations!

Thanks for your work on the dust head and recommendations. I just pulled the trigger and ordered my nomad 883 pro.

I’m happy to be able to help.

Question for you- forgive me if it’s a stupid question with a previously stated answer. I’ll gladly ask stupid questions until I get it.

The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a festool CT26 dust extractor with the Ultimate Dust Deputy Systainer Cyclone Separator Kit (meant for festool CT series of vacuum).

I understand.

Based on this thread, I was thinking of upgrading the external hose to the 50mm version from festool.

This is an excellent choice. One want the largest diameter tubing to run for as fast as possible, with as few bends as possible, and with as gentle bends as possible such that one obtains the best possible dust pickup.

However wanted to ask what adapter are you using to connect to it out the back of the housing? I see 2 x 5500K17 (mcmaster part number) on the first thread and I get one of them goes to the dust head and the other would be for the back of the enclosure, however wanted to double check that is what you are in fact using with your 50mm external hose.

The Dust Deputy comes with a 50 mm hose that goes from the Festool to the Dust Deputy.
Going from the Dust Deputy to the Nomad is the challenge. What I did is remove the end of the Festool 50 mm tubing and use a flexible pipe clamp to attach it. One end done.

How to deal with the other end is the challenge. This depends on how you want to bring the vacuum into the Nomad 883. I build a box around mine so I used proper fittings. Let me know what you’re thinking of doing and we’ll come up with some cheap fittings to do the job.

One way to do this is to make a hole in the upper side of the Nomad 883 along with some mounting holes, then put fittings on either side of the hole, held by the screws. Caulk the thing to death and it will be fine. Two fittings from Amazon will do it.

Inside the Nomad 883 there isn’t room for 50 mm tuning so you’ll need a piece of ~35mm tubing for the dust head. MMC is a good place to get this.

This works outside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OCAY66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works on the inside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX5I8VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bit of cutting is required to make things work well but this takes only a few minutes.

mark

mark

@mbellon

How to deal with the other end is the challenge. This depends on how you want to bring the vacuum into the Nomad 883. I build a box around mine so I used proper fittings. Let me know what you’re thinking of doing and we’ll come up with some cheap fittings to do the job.

Thanks Mark. I know the stock enclosure is not optimal as it’s a little tight for an optimal dust extraction system however this is all I have for now and will try to make it work.
I was going to run the festool 50mm to the stock nomad enclosure. Then like you said, use smaller internal tubing to go to the dust head.

Inside the Nomad 883 there isn’t room for 50 mm tuning so you’ll need a piece of ~35mm tubing for the dust head. MMC is a good place to get this.

For the internal tubing within the nomad, i got ya. This is where MMC part #5500K31 comes in I guess? That part says 1 1/4" ID (31.75mm) and 1 1/2" OD (38.1mm) which roughly matches the ~35mm recommendation.

For the adapters:

1. Wouldn’t the festool 50mm hose (1 15/16") require a 2" adapter for the outside?
  2. Then to fit within that adapter, you’d need a reduction adapter (like you outlined) but 2" down to 1 1/4" to match the MMC hose noted above for the inside?
  1. Wouldn’t the festool 50mm hose (1 15/16") require a 2" adapter for the outside?

Nope. The one I pointed out on Amazon happens to work perfectly. The Festool 50 mm end fits INSIDE the fitting and forms a tight seal.

1. Then to fit within that adapter, you’d need a reduction adapter (like you outlined) but 2" down to 1 1/4" to match the MMC hose noted above for the inside?

Look at the two fittings I pointed out. I used them myself. The second is a reduction adapter. You cut it at the diameter that matches your tubing.

You cut a hole that fits the reduction adapter in the Nomad 883. You push it in, mark the four screw holes and drill them out. Now take the 2.5 in fitting and put it over the reduction fitting where it sticks through. It won’t form a tight seal. Measure how much to cut off the reduction fitting and cut it off. Install the reduction fitting with caulk. Install the 2.5 in fitting with caulk. Tighten the screws. Done!

mark

1 Like

Thanks again! Will keep folks posted. Note that I will try cutting carbon fibre at some point but for now will be aluminum and Acetal and maybe some tooling board. I plan to make radio- controlled parts with my cnc. Currently we 3d print most stuff and do some injection.

Be particularly careful with carbon fibre. After the job is done, allow the vacuum to clear the air for several minutes before opening the enclosure. The particles from fibre are particularly nasty.

Acetal - Delrin - is a dream material to CNC. You’ll need to work up a good feeds and speeds for it but once you’re dialed you’re going to love it.

mark

I’m posting an improved version of the brush plate… better vacuum, better particle pick up.

mark

Brush Plate 2.stl (451.8 KB)

3 Likes

An even better brush plate!

The brush stops 2 inch from the spindle, preventing brush eating.

Brush Plate.stl (449.5 KB)

mark

1 Like