Nomad pro inaccurate movement

I noticed that some simple parts were dimensionally inaccurate, so I tried using a digital dial indicator to fine tune my steps per mm. They were definitely out, as I was travelling more than the commanded distance even over small distances like 5mm. The odd thing is, I can either adjust the steps/mm to make small distances accurate, or larger distances accurate, but not both. I typically travel 25mm in 5mm increments and record the actual travel at each increment. I settled on 198.6 steps/mm because the 5 and 10mm increments are spot on, and the 20 and 25mm ones are close enough (25 actually travels 25.12, but it’s better than the 25.25 that it was originally travelling). The odd thing is, the 15mm increment ends up being less than 15mm travelled even though all the rest are on par or above. I can’t think of how this is possible nevermind how to remedy it. To be clear, all my readings are repeatable, and when I travel back to zero, it’s spot on.

My setup:
-Nomad pro with carbide motion 2.4e board
-cncjs
-nearly all backlash has been preloaded out of the antibacklash nuts
-using a SMW tool plate and mod vice to clamp my dial indicator base, which is rock solid
-I have made reasonable efforts to reduce any parallax error, which shouldn’t be a concern anyway because it should affect the readings predictably.

Any input on this would really help. If I need to provide more info or try something, please chime in.

Jeremy

If the distance moved is different in terms of steps/mm for short (relatively greater) vs. long (relatively less) distances this is probably caused by backlash — contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we will work out how to handle this.

Hi Will, thanks for replying.

I have preloaded my lead screw nuts to essentially eliminate any backlash. To further rule out that possibility, I did an initial move in the direction of travel before zeroing my indicator, and then did several incremental movements in the same direction. Even after this, I still am hitting the first couple moves either dead on or slightly short, and then increasingly overshooting for the next few.

With respect to your suggestion to message the support team about the issue, I would like to wait and see if anyone in the community has any input or experience of their own like this. Unfortunately, I have reached out to the support team in the past with little success.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.