Nomad pro won't Home (video included)

Hi all, I have a Nomad Pro as some of you know from my ship build.

I was doing a part the other night and the y motor screamed a loud noise, so I turned it off and I did it again.

Below is a video of the fault…

I’ve contacted carbide3d support but just wondering what could it be?

Thanks
Tim

do you have a bitzero? my nomad would do the same thing when I set the magnet on top of the sensor once.

1 Like

Hi I’m not sure what a bitzero is?

It’s an accessory for the Nomad 3 and Shapeoko — allows setting origin relative to rectangular stock.

Ahh I have the Nomad 2. Is it not a limit switch fault? I do have a spare board @robgrz sent me years ago I kept as a back up.

I’ve been holding off installing it, as if it’s an easy fix I will do that. I don’t dance taking the board out.

Hopefully the board swap will get you up and running — if not, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist

Oki doki, I’ve emailed the video and the photo of the boards, I will try this board swap this week. Its labelled so hopefully will go smoothly. X axis is the waste board right?

I’ve put the spare board in and now I’m getting limit switch hit error. I’ve manually moved the spindle away from all the limit switches but I’m still getting the same error.

Is that a faulty limit switch?

I can see the location of the y one but where are the others?

Are these the correct switches?

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2QW-C003H/2698560

Is this the correct lubricant ?

Sorry lots of questions.

Thanks

Tim

For me (with a Nomad 883 Pro not a Nomad 2) the “wasteboard” moves from the front of the machine to the back, and is therefore Y, not X.

X is supported by the two rods that hold the spindle and moves left to right. Z is the bit that goes up and down.

1 Like

The switches look the same as the ones on my Nomad 883 Pro.

That’s the correct lubricant, too. It’s expensive here in the UK, but the tube does last a long time.

1 Like

My understanding is that is the factory grease but maintenance should be done with SuperLube oil, not grease. The oil is also stupidly expensive to ship to the UK.

2 Likes

Possibly. I have the grease based on this post:

I figured it would be okay to keep using it. Maybe not but I have no troubles (so far :slight_smile: ). When warm, the grease is like oil (rationalization).

1 Like

Thanks guys just to clarify it is the nomad pro. I managed to wire the board correctly but it does appear to be the x (metal bar) issue.

It is possible that the switch is always on. You should be able to check the current status of the switches by connecting to the machine with Carbide Motion and then looking at the settings page. Then you can push all the switches (even the tool length probe/ nomad-bitsetter) and see a small bit of text like “probe” or “X” etc.

If you’ve got “X” there and the spindle is in the centre of the metal rods, you might have a bad switch. Or you’ve not connected it properly to the board. Or the wires are shorted… you get the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Gerry I will have ago tonight :+1:

Sorry for the poor quality photos was taken on my phone to be quick. Still tracking right but then not left to home. Pushed in x and z limit switches they have easy of movement. Should I get a more up to date version of carbide motion?.

Hey Tim!

Upgrading Carbide Motion might be an option. Your UI looks quite different to the current versions!

Remember also that if you’ve swapped the board, you might need to send the Nomad configuration to it using Carbide Motion. I’m not 100% sure about that though.

This Nomad still has Grbl 0.9 — upgrading Carbide Motion beyond 366/368 is not an option until the machine is reflashed to Grbl 1.1

Ahh yes… I didn’t spot that. Time to clean my glasses :slight_smile:

I’ve sent these pics over to carbide support… is reflashing a big job? Could I brick the machine doing it?