Nomad: Simple End Mill Organizer

Hi all,

I was getting tired of digging through my bit collection trying to keep things straight, especially since the bits are fragile, and I keep them in their sleeves. Here is a simple organizer made using my Nomad 883 that allows me to find the right bit while still keeping them protected in their sleeves. My organizer was made from 1/2" thick HDPE, but it could be cut from any half-inch or thicker material.

The design uses a board 7" wide and 8" long, though I made mine with longer stock and had the extra material stick out beyond the front door my My Nomad 883.

My design stores 6 each of all eight bit types from Carbide3D. Note that there is a circular hole inside of a square one. This allows both the thin cylindrical tool sleeves as well as the bigger rectangular sleeves to park in the same spot. This was in response to having received the No. 102 bits in differently configured sleeves.

Anyone who wants a STEP, STL, DXF, of this, let me know.

Michael McGinnis
www.superplexus.com
www,perplexus.net

6 Likes

Anyone who wants a STEP, STL, DXF, of this, let me know.

ME!

You can post the STL here. You can ZIP a folder of goodies and post it here too.

mark

Hi Mark,

Here you go with the STL. Actually, I am submitting two STL files. The first is exactly what I used. The second has the depth of the numbers half that of the original, in case you want it to cutout faster. I like the deeper look because it is very readable, though I didn’t try the shallow look on those parts. My experience in my manufactured products regarding readability is narrow and deep works best.

The square/round bit holder holes were cut with a straight 1/8" bit. The detailing was done with a 1/32" straight bit.

I’ll post the STL file at some point so people can easily modify it in CAD.

Regards, Michael

Nomad Tools bits holder.stl (2.0 MB)Nomad Tools bits holder, shallower numbers.stl (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Hey Mark,

Just before you use the file, would you confirm with me the numbering sequence for the Carbide 3D bits? For some odd reason Carbide 3D seems to number the 1/4" bits backwards. I created the bit holder with this in mind.

So as you can see, they are labeled in this order, alternating Ballnose and Straight across the board:
121, 122, 111, 112, 101, 102, 202, 201 (the last two are backwards… on purpose)

-Michael

Just before you use the file, would you confirm with me the numbering sequence for the Carbide 3D bits?

I don’t know offhand. I don’t use any C3D machine tools. Looking at the WEB site…

That numbering looks correct.

mark