Noob with a bitsetter question

I just installed a bit setter on my machine (Shap XXL) but I’m wondering how it knows my table height? I have replaced my original MDF table with a different height table, so how does the machine know this height? Is there a setting I need to set somewhere to let it know where ground zero is? Thanks for the help always much appreciated.

@Kholzschuh1 It doesn’t. What the controller does know is that you zero’d with a bit (using the probe or manually), it also knows where the tip of your cutter is. With these two piece of information, it can compensate for a new tool if inserted and re-checked on the Bit Setter.

1 Like

Minor addition: You have to tell the machine where in the XY space the centre of the BitSetter is, so it knows where to go to do it’s relative measurement checks of bits and new bits. The workflow on this is important to follow - there are posts on here of folk following intuition rather than the actual workflow - and once the ‘light bulb’ moment happens it becomes obvious…
Or that’s the theory - yet to splash out on a BitSetter on my 3XL as yet.

1 Like

Sorry didn’t do my research before writing question. I didn’t realize I still have to zero my work piece. It’d be slick if you could set zero for the table height and have CM calculate the zero of the work pc just by the dimension you put in CC file. Oh well I’ll zero on my work pc still. Thanks again.

You could choose to zero on your Spoil Board surface, if you are always dealing with stock of the same thickness, or near enough so, and your first operation is always one that isn’t too fussy about exact depth for the first pass…

1 Like

The BitSetter does not know how high your base board and/or spoil board is. Instead after installation and calibration for position the BitSetter is comparing the current bit to the last Z zero. So if your project is 1/4 inch high and you set zero on top so zero is set at 1/4 inch above the spoil board when the gcode sends a tool change and you put in a new bit the BitSetter is comparing the new bit length to the previous zero which was 1/4 inch and sets the new bit zero to 1/4 inch above the spoil board. The BitSetter does not know about your spoil board height only where your last set zero is. Remember your last zero for x y and z is held in the controller memory over power cycled. Now the accuracy of the zeros are dependant on the accuracy of your homing switches.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.