Not carving right

You can zip it, .zip is an allowed format I believe.

see if this works
22craft 5x7 craft 90 vcarve.zip (178.3 KB)

I am not sure if the the Z-axis belts are the same but the reason I disappeared earlier is because my X-Axis just had a belt slip which caused the bit to go off the expected path and through my piece. In my case it slipped enough that the tension screw was not enough. The belt had actually moved a little in the L bracket that holds it. I had to feed a little bit more through again and then re-tension with the screw. If it does not feel like it is taught with just tightening the screw you may need to feed the belt through a little more. I took a little time to re-tension all the bolts and belts and make sure noting was loose. Also cleaned the v-Wheels.

I took a quick look at the file in CAMotics and it looks like the depths stays consistent throughout the cut so I expect you have some belt slippage as mentioned above.

1 Like

It looks like the smaller text is a less deep carve, is that where the transisition is? If so it could be the original Z zero is not being set properly.

if I ran it through as separate files you think it would work?

I will check out the video posted above…hopefully that will work

Thank you.

What I meant was that the larger letters on the left appear to have a deeper carve than the smaller, narrower letters in the middle.

If the whole job is running a little too high then you’ll get some of the carve from the letters on the left but none of the carve from the smaller ones.

Once you’ve set the Z zero, jog to the side of the workpiece and manually bring the Z down to zero to check that is where you set it (which appears to be the top surface of the workpiece a little off the front left corner).

it stops carving after half of the stroke on the F in the first job. It just lifts up and begins to carve out about .04 in above my wood

So, it looks like the carve is deepest in the first part of that F.

Are you zero-ing with the bit-setter? Check you’ve got the corners of the bitsetter down over the edge of the workpiece and not sat on top of it. When probing X, Y, Z the bitsetter expects to have the base flat on the workpiece, when doing just Z it expects the lips around the edges to be on the workpiece.

Check the zero against the workpiece first after zero-ing, use the jog, rapid position, rapid to current X, Y and then manually jog down to Z=0 and check this is where you expect it to be.

Then check a couple of other places on the workpiece to make sure the top surface is level with the machine Z plane.

If that checks out, run the job on a piece of scrap and when it starts to cut up out of the material, use Pause then Stop to stop the job.

Then rapid back to current X, Y and job down manually in Z to check if the machine still has that corner correctly set for Z.

I have had this issue from two separate things.

1. The post processor from vcarve was not the right one (I use the grbl mm make sure its not the grbl inch) Also make sure that your carbide motion is set to mm.

2. The second thing I have seen is if dust builds up on my V wheels it can be like a wedge in the wheel and has made my belt skip.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.