Not cutting same as toolpath is designed

The V-bit and Bullnose bit are not cutting as deep as the design in Carbide Create.

The top swoshes in the scripted letters is not cutting into the wood, and the bullnose is not cutting the top of the arch and not cutting the bottom of the design, everywhere else is cutting properly.
Mar-a-Lago Parking sign wider arch top 2.c2d (348 KB)

Did you surface the workpiece flat on the machine?
How are you holding your workpiece in place on the machine?

The simulation in CC looks correct.

1 Like

It is flat and both taped and secured. It wont move.

Either the stock is not flat, or the machine is not moving flat.

By “flat stock”, I mean the entire top of the stock lies in a plane parallel to the machine’s XY movement.
If you set your Z at several spots around the top of the job, is it the same everywhere?

The problem with a path cutting the correct depth in some spots, but incorrect in others is usually the stock not sitting flat. Either the table has not been surfaced parallel to the machine, or the wood is not flat, or warped. Although it could be slop in the machine. ???

1 Like

I’ll plane a piece and try again. Everything is level.

1 Like

As @Tod1d said, check the table to ensure it is flat to the “X” axis. You said “level”, a bubble level, if that is what you used for reference it will not consider height variances between the axis and spoil board.

If I am off base with my assumption, sorry.

Good Luck

One problem people have is with 3rd party bits. For instance a 3rd party vee bit may have a rounded bit bottom instead of a sharp point. If your bowl/bull nose bit is defined wrong it will think it is deeper than it really is. I think the advise on bowl bits or bull nose is to define it as a flat end mill and decrease the step over if cutting large flat areas.

Thank you everyone. It was indeed the piece of wood. It had a slight crown to it, which set everything off. Wow! I can’t believe such a minor (what I percieved as minor) problem would cause such a difference. I actually noticed the piece was crowned before I started cutting, but just didn’t realize how much it would matter.

Thanks again everyone.

1 Like

I recently turned a memorial bowl out of oak. Normally You put a foot of some kind on the bottom. I was going to engrave this bowl and made a very small inward crown so the bowl would set on the edges. Because I knew it was not flat I made my carving a little deeper than normal to compensate for any variations in height. The bowl turned out well.

If I had made my usual depth it could have had some light/blank spots. Usually I would make the depth .1" but in this case I made it .15" Although it was deeper than I would have liked in hind sight it was the right decision.

This text was a pocket with a 1/32" bit. Vcarving is very sensitive to the surface not being flat.

2 Likes