Old Shapeoko 2 vs New Shapeoko 3XL

I have an older 500 x 500 Shapeoko 2 that I bought from Inventables about 4 plus years ago. I now have a Shapeoko 3XL that I purchased in Nov of 20.
Can I use CC and CM with the old machine. Or do I need to use Easel with the old. I am looking at buying a new controller for the old machine. If so, can I send files I create in CC to Easel or send files from Easel to CC?
Thank you for your help.
Rollin

You can use Carbide Create with pretty much any machine — Carbide Motion is limited to machines sold by Carbid3 3D so won’t work with the Shapeoko 2 — you’ll need to use Easel or some other communication/control program w/ the latter.

Take a look at openbuilds store about the blackbox controller. It may suite your need and they have a CM like program to send gcode. The blackbox controller is inexpensive and very modular. It might work for you.

Thank you. Can I create files in CC and transfer to Easel or transfer from Easel to CC?
:smiley:

Thank you Guy, Where do i find openbuilds store. That sounds better than buying the controller from Inventiblesl.
Rollin.

Looks like the price went up :frowning:

Yes, G-code (.nc) files should be sendable with either, SVGs should be openable with either once exported.

Can the old shapeoko be upgraded to a new motion controller from carbide3d? Thats only 149 in the shop, then you could use carbide motion with it.

That is not a supported upgrade. We sell the controllers to facilitate folks who are out of warranty or need to otherwise update for products sold by Carbide 3D.

William,
My old Shapeoko 2 was shipped to me on Jan 6, 2014. Do I qualify?

It was sold to you by Inventables, not Carbide 3D.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense. Just wanted to know.
When I was looking to upgrade my old one, I was checking out inventables. When they stopped making the size I was looking for I did some Google searching and I found Carbide. How did the change occure between the two companies and did some stay with the old company and some move to Carbide? I was very happy to find Carbide and the size of machine I needed for what we do.
Rollin

Brief version of the history (hopefully @edwardrford will elaborate, and if need be correct):

I really hope Edward will write a book about all this, perhaps w/ the other partners as co-authors.

William,
Thank you - Now I understand how it evolved :heart: :man_dancing:. I agree that a book should be written.
You all get my encouragement.
Rollin

I’ll add here, that if you’re comfortable crimping and soldering, you can use a carbide motion board, but it will be unsupported. The coil pairs are printed on the silkscreen next to the motor connector if you go that route. You’ll also need a compatible power supply, but I’m sure we can help you out there.

3 Likes

That link does not work anymore- I think this is the post that Will was referencing Welcome Edward to the Team

No, it was a shapeoko.com blog post which was specifically on the SO3 launch, but unfortunately it wasn’t captured by the Wayback Machine.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.