Order of operation

I have been having issues with my bit crashing into the bitsetter. I have the new 5 Pro...

I know there are 2 ways of saving the G-code for order of operation “so correct me if I am wrong”, but 1. you can save each individual toolpath by disabling the others then saving them individually or 2. save the whole toolpath as one item.
Now, if I run the 1st option “running each toolpath separately” will I have to press the “load new tool” every time I need to change bits? If I go with option 2 the program will initial a tool change automatically and will not require me to click the “load to tool” tab because it is one continuous program?
I believe the problem I am having is when I run a project with separate saved toolpaths (where one program is done it goes back to Home, then I load the new program, change the tool (but I do not click the “load tool button”) it is not resetting the tool length correctly, which if not set to the correct depth as the last bit" it will crash into the bitsetter.
Please let me know if I am right or wrong on this because it is getting frustrating. All my limit switches are working correctly and the bitsetter lights are doing what they are supposed to do. Please advise.

What do you mean by “Crashing into the bitsetter.” ?

This should have nothing to do with the paths being separate or in 1 file. If you are using the “Shapeoko” post, it should be putting a toolchange command in the G-Code. ( M6T___ )
When CM sees the toolchange command with the bitsetter enabled, it should move to the toolchange position (front center), ask you to change the tool, move to the bitsetter to measure the new tool.
This is the same as using “Load New Tool”. So if the program is doing the toolchanges, you don’t need to use the “Load New Tool” button between paths.

One case that could get you in trouble is if you are setting your Z zero with the new tool before it gets measured. Because the measuring will offset the Z zero based on the difference in length between the last tool & the new tool.

If the tool is coming down on the bitsetter, and not stopping when it activates the switch in the bitsetter, it is likely that the signal from the bitsetter is on making it back to CM to tell it to stop.

Open the Settings menu & look for the page with the “Input Pin State” readouts. Push down the plunger on the bitsetter. The Bitsetter pin state should toggle on. If it doesn’t make sure all the connections from the bitsetter to the control board are good.

1 Like

It hammers down on it like it is trying to push lower than the bitsetter

Sometimes it even pushes on the bitsetter the fine on the first plunge but on the 2nd plunge it starts pushing and making that “thud” sound…

Let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

I have. I have asked someone to call me but no one does.

Phone calls are returned in the order they are received — for Mondays this can mean a bit of a wait as we work through the backlog from the weekend, but we will do our best to ring you as soon as we can.

I would love to find a video on step by step procedures on running the projects with tool changes on both scenarios I mentioned in my original post.

The straight-forward thing to do is (EDIT: assuming one has a BitSetter):

• write out .c2d file with all toolpaths in the desired order
  • power up and connect to machine — allow it to use the BitSetter to measure the length of the first tool (say a probing pin)
  • use the probing pin to set origin relative to the stock to match how it is set in the file
  • load and begin running the file
  • program will prompt user to load the first tool
  • load the tool, the program will measure the tool using the BitSetter and begin cutting
  • at each tool change, the machine will prompt for the next tool — load it and allow the machine to measure

I agree, I guess I was doing it like the old version on carbide create where you saved every G-code. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.