Paint can rack cut files

I saw a short on YouTube of Kevin building a paint can rack and I’d swear I saw somewhere else a video of him saying the plans for the rack are on CutRocket but I can’t find them anywhere. Any ideas where I might find what I’m looking for?

Along with that project I made a rattle can paint shaker out of drain and waste 3" pipe and a plug.

It works quite well. I get tennis elbow badly because I am right hand dominant and shaking spray cans aggravates it.

I use an old tee shirt to wrap around the can and use my Dewalt 20V drill on high speed to twist the can and shake up the paint. About a minute is all you need. Just be sure to hold the can upright so it does not fly out of the shaker.

The plug has a bolt sticking out you can tighten up in your drill to spin the tall or short spray cans.

1 Like

gdon_2003

I made something similar for use with my lathe. One end is centered and the other end is off center by 3/8" This produces an offset rotating motion.

This resulted in a debate with a friend who is a retired engineer. I thought it worked well but he said it would only push the contents of the can to the inside surfaces and not mixed at all. No resolution to these conflicting ideas has ever been pursued.

The only thing I can say for sure is we retired folk have too much time on our hands for esoteric discussions.

Bill

My paint can shaker works very well. I use rattle cans a lot and it makes short work of shaking the rattle cans. If it did not work I would not use it. When you let off the trigger of the drill you can hear the steel balls inside the can continue to spin.

I would think your solution would work as well because it is tumbling the paint around and mixing it while spinning and when you stop it will still spin some. Your friend might be right about the paint pigment being squashed against the can sides but it is still mixing the pigment up.

1 Like

I remember about 10 years ago there was a holder made for a reciprocating saw to use for shaking paint cans, i could not find the details again but it was fun to play with. :smile:

2 Likes

@Bison52 This thread might be of interest to you. This post has a couple of files.
Rattle Can Storage

2 Likes