Paradise box with epoxy inlays

epoxy-on-epoxy works well if the underneath layer is still tacky (so you don’t need to wait for it to harden, just for it to stop being a liquid so that it won’t displace)

4 Likes

Thanks @fenrus @Julien. I’ll have to try this soon on my first epoxy projects. I dislike waiting, but also dislike re-doing work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do this on my rivertables. I paint a light coat of clear epoxy onto the endgrain of the live edges (the “banks” of the river) before doing the initial pour. In this case, I’m not worried about bleed, but am trying to avoid trapped air in the end grain…and also to avoid the epoxy level receding as it gets absorbed into the grain.

It’s like any other “second pour”…you wait until it gets tacky and then go. It does not (and should not) actually cure. The only difference is that, since the application is so thin, you don’t need to wait very long…usually 20-30 mins is plenty.

• Gary
2 Likes

When regularly working with epoxy another TIP would be to mix the 2 parts then pull a vacuum on the cup. Even a small vacuum will pull most of the air you’ve stirred into the epoxy mix and give you fewer problems with bubbles when applied.

Be careful! When the vacuum is applied the mix will bubble up, sometimes over the lip of the cup. And - release the vacuum slowly so you don’t force air back into the mix.

4 Likes