Parallel toolpath with no tool raising

Anybody figure out how to get a pocket cleared using the parallel toolpath, but having the tool stay down instead of raising at the edge of each row?
I sorta managed it when I faked out my cut and had empty air on the side of one cut. I suppose I could clumsily do that every time, but it would be much easier to just tell it “never raise”.

I’m cutting 2lb foam, so there’s no trouble “running into stock” or anything. But those little ups and downs eat up so much time after a while.

Adaptive toolpath isn’t the better option here, for consideration of length of foam threads that wrap around the endmill.

I’d think drawing up parallel toolpath you desire and apply a contour cut may be a solution.

1 Like

@ehendrix I have tried that. Seems like the amount I remove, equaling the diameter of the endmill, isn’t quite enough to tell the software to not lift up. I suppose I could do a contour with a 100% stepover “roughing” pass, even though it doesn’t really need roughing, to get a thicker fire band, as it were…

What is the max depth of cut you are trying to accomplish? Can it be done in one pass?
It may help more to see the file what you are trying to do.

DOC and dimension of the pocket changes per design, so I don’t have a file to show you. This is just a consideration for adjusting my toolpaths in the future. I suppose I could make one up…

The advantage of a parallel path over an adaptive path, for instance, is guaranteed string break, so I don’t get wraps around the endmill. It’s almost always done in one pass. I’m taking less than .75" (3x diameter) DOC basically every time.

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you to @WillAdams for reopening this.

I believe the solution is the “Contact Point Boundary” function in the Geometry tab.

I can safely say that if you have a parallel toolpath and if that toolpath is cutting on a flat surface, essentially a raster pocket like you might find in Vectric, checking this box will allow the endmill to move right on to the next pass without raising to reset.

Please note I am using 2lb closed cell PE foam, so it’s very forgiving and I’m not super concerned about cleanliness of the edge of the pocket. Speed is my main concern. I also have a contour cut going around the side of the pocket before the parallel paths are started. Your results may vary, but this might be a starting point.