Parsing error with different PC connected to Nomad

I have a job to run and of course, the laptop that has my install of carbide motion (literally it’s only job) has a system error and won’t boot into windows. IT went home for the day so, i’ll just install the Carbide Motion 6.18 on my desktop and connect it to the Nomad. I think the old laptop was running a 4.XX version.

Setup was no problem, connected, initialized, setup the stock and went to run a .NC file i’ve used before, only using the now dead laptop.

Now on this PC/CNC setup I get the following error (screenshot of Carbide motion with the applicable .NC file in NC viewer)

I tried a few other .NC files i’ve run in the past and same “Unknown character” issue.

(G-code is greek to me, uh…Greek Code? lol)

I tried uninstalling 618 and installing 5.82 and the error is the same. Tried computer reboot, powercycle, reseat USB cables.

any ideas? Hopefully IT can resurrect my laptop but in the mean time, i’m dead in the water.

Thanks!

Could you post a .nc file which causes this problem? (might need to zip it)

SpringClip Standoff_V3.zip (5.7 KB)

attached the zipped .NC file

The problem is with nested parentheses:

%
(POSTED DATE & TIME: 1-24-2024  - 12:39:54)
(TOTAL MACHINE TIME:0 HRS. 3 MIN. 43 SEC. )
(NUM  TOOL TYPE   DIAM    RAD   H   D    DESCRIPTION) 
(---  ---------  ------  ----- --- ---   -----------) 
(T02  END MILL   0.0625 0.0000 H02 D02  1/16(.063) SQ 2FL .1875 LOC)
(OPERATION NAME: ROUGH MILL1)
(1/16(.063) SQ 2FL .1875 LOC)

once those are edited out:

%
(POSTED DATE & TIME: 1-24-2024  - 12:39:54)
(TOTAL MACHINE TIME:0 HRS. 3 MIN. 43 SEC. )
(NUM  TOOL TYPE   DIAM    RAD   H   D    DESCRIPTION) 
(---  ---------  ------  ----- --- ---   -----------) 
(T02  END MILL   0.0625 0.0000 H02 D02  1/16 .063  SQ 2FL .1875 LOC)
(OPERATION NAME: ROUGH MILL1)
(1/16 .063  SQ 2FL .1875 LOC)

the file loads fine:

I will dig out a copy of the G-code standard and check and see if it specifies that it’s okay to nest parentheses thus, and if it does, will put in a bug report.

What CAM tool made that? Using what post-processor? Is there an option to not have it output nested parentheses? Perhaps you could edit the tool definition so that there aren’t any parentheses there?

ahh, I was suspicious of those, but not enough to really understand why.

I’m using SolidCam with a post processor written by Hawk Ridge Systems.

If IT can resurrect this laptop i can update with what version of motion control it has.

But editing the tool crib to remove the parenthesis seems easy enough of a workaround.

Thank you so much for your help.

I edited the parenthesis out of my tool crib and that worked.

I also verified that I can begin to run the .NC files with the nested parenthesis in Carbide Motion Build 4.0.412. It gets past the lines with the parenthesis but won’t actually run on the newer controller board from sept of last year. (parameters incorrect error)

I’ll be using the latest build now, so it’s all good.

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.