Pause a job while using stingray

When I’m doing traditional CNC work with a bit, anytime I hit the “pause” button in Carbide Motion (version 622) the spindle stops spinning and the Z axis raises. This seems perfect.

However when using the Stingray, when I hit the “pause” button in Carbide Motion the movement stops, but the Z axis does not raise at all. I wish it would bring the Z axis up. This weekend I attempted to fix a problem mid-cut but was not able to do anything while paused because the stingray still had the material pinned down.

Not sure if this different result is intentional, or caused by the zero RPM setting, or because the bitsetter was disabled in Carbide Motion. Nervous about using the beta, but if someone could confirm this behavior is different I might give it a try.

I’ll have to check my carbide motion version, but pause has never done anything but stop in place, spindle keeps going.

Stopping the spindle and raising on pause would be awesome.

weird mines always stopped rotation, and raised the bit. I use it when the wife is getting my attention from the door or if I need to walk away from the machine for a bit. on resume it lowers, spins up the bit and reengages the material.

have not tried with the drag knife however

The 5 Pro has different behavior than the other machines. On the non 5 machine I have it does raise when paused.

I have not noticed pause not lifting with a knife or pen but I may never have tried. My next project uses both of those and I will try it.

I did notice that when I used the MC Etcher the pop up about setting speed on the router never appeared. I had the interlock disabled but still expected the popup. Maybe there is something different about an etching toolpath that knows not to turn the router on?

That would be a handy addition for profile paths when using a pen or Dragknife in case you are stupid like me and forget. I set the RPM to something super low as an indication, but since the router spins up prior to that popup the damage is done if you have the router enabled.

1 Like

Interesting! I do have a Pro 5

I don’t remember the specifics but it had to do with GRBL capacity or something like that. There have been other complaints about this as it does not allow ability to adjust the sweepy boot mid cut if needed.

That would be a very cool feature to have, curious why it doesn’t work on the Pro5. @WillAdams ?

At a guess when we added the feature of dual-motor Y-axis homing this feature had to be removed, but that’s just a guess.

1 Like

Usually when I hit pause the router stops spinning and the Z raises. However it depends on where you are in the gcode. For instance after placing a bit and the BitSetter routine and the router starts to move to the project and I hit pause it just stops in place and keeps spinning. I suppose it is some subroutine that CM/Shapeoko is doing that prevents the stop spinning and raise Z. However during a normal cut that I hit pause the bit stops rotating and the Z raises.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.