Pause function issue

I know its been addressed on older builds of CM, but I don’t understand why this is still an ongoing issue. The pause function doesn’t work correctly. On the old version of CM when I paused the machine, it would stop moving, raise the spindle, then stop the spindle. Now (builds 618 and the last one), it just stops moving, doesn’t raise up, and doesn’t stop the spindle. I cut alot of hdpe and have to occasionally clear the bit when shavings build up on it (usually only when drilling or plunging in smaller pockets). Having to do this while the spindle is running is dangerous, and having the spindle just sit there running buried in plastic is terrible for heat buildup.

Is there a way to change the pause script back to the way it was? Where it would lift and stop the spindle? And while we’re on the subject, add a change tool function to the pause menu to replace a broken or dull bit without having to restart the job?

Thanks, Hoofty

4 Likes

I second that. I leverage the raise functionality to swap the sweepy for the deep sweepy.

1 Like

It looks like you have a Shapeoko 5 Pro. To make room for the dual Y homing, we had to remove the parking feature from the code. Nothing has changed for the Shapeoko 5 Pro, it was never in there.

My pause function works perfectly as far as movement goes. Stops, raises. I only have a trim router so I can’t speak to the spindle issue. 4 pro XXL.

Yeah, I did upgrade to the 5 pro 4x4. I also updated carbide motion at the same time so I assumed it was an issue with the new version. Is there anyway to add this function back into it? It was immensely useful for plastic cutting, taking video, adjusting the dust boot, etc…

Nope, the function is not in the firmware for the machine. It’s not controlled by Carbide Motion.

CM will get the ability to restart a program in the middle before too long, so that might be halfway to a solution if you need to stop a program for some reason.

4 Likes

Okay, I assumed it was similar to a macro script in the gcode sender, not really a computer guy so I only partially understand… and there I go assuming again
But, restarting a program partway through would definitely be helpful, I appreciate your quick response. Thanks

I have an SO3 and the pause function generally works as described above. The router rises where it is and my BitRunner shuts off the router. However in certain conditions the router stops and keeps spinning. I think it is where you are in the gcode. If you are running a job mid cut the pause works as expected. However if you insert a bit and it goes to the BitSetter and moves over and starts spinning the router if you pause between then and before the first cut it just sits there and runs the router. It seems the previous command is still active but overriden by the pause and does not raise the router or stop the router.

The behavior of the SO5 is different from SO3/4 machines in CM as @robgrz indicated.

Ah what a bummer. Came here looking for why it wouldn’t raise up so I could toss a boot on and it just spun in place.

So the on board memory was so tight you had to drop a feature for a feature. How much of a difference was it to add more memory? Should I install klipper? (Jk)

I hope some sort of other options or workarounds or macros or something can be made to give more than spin in place because there are use cases.

1 Like

This would probably keep me from upgrading from my Pro XXl to the 5.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.