Phantom tool paths?

I dont use a bit zero, i have a bit setter. My Z is zeroed off the top of the work piece .

In that case, in addition to the file, let us know step-by-step:

• how you are securing your stock
  • how you are setting zero relative to your stock
  • what, if any technique you are using to verify zero
  • how you are managing all tool changes

and send a photo showing an attempt at cutting in place on the machine.

I found my problem. I rapid to my x,y, z+6mm i confirmed by eye the bit was 6mm above my workpiece, but my glasses screwed up my calibrated eye. The z was .125” lower than i thought. :grimacing:

What caused it to be that far off?

What β€œK” is doing ( checking rapped x y z+6) is good practice. I like that. I have manually set the zero points and scene I get lost on more than one occasion. Always stand ready with my finger on the power button when it first starts to cut. Carbide motion shows the precut path it might show up here when it’s off.

When it happens, since I just killed the power it goes back to the back right corner and resets the reference point so I just load everything again and reset the Z probe depth in rapid check the XY plus Z that is usually fix my problem

1 Like

Oh man, you had to ask :flushed:.
Well, there are 2 programs required on my project. A front and a back with a thickness change.
I machined the front, then changed the z by .125” to machine the back, but I needed to make a change to some width dimensions.
I started over with a new piece, β€œverified” the Z zero by eye (forgetting it had been changed for the back of the previous piece).
I appreciate the input here as I learned a LOT!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.