Pink Outline on Carbide Create

I am attempting to set up a build using Carbide Create, and I am importing a DXF. When imported (opened), part of my design is outlined in pink as opposed to black (though will transition to an orange outline if clicked or selected, like the rest). I am unable to set a toolpath to the pink outline and I’m not sure why.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I did just download the newest version of Carbide Create. If anyone else wants to try out the file, it is attached. It’s just the Star Wars logo.

SWL4.dxf (269.3 KB)

Slight development . . . in case anyone else comes across this thread with the same problem (not yet sure of a solution, but . . . ) I am able to create a toolpath that has an offset direction of “no offset”, but I am not able to choose a different offset.

SOLUTION: Two of the mating lines did not terminate at the adjacent end points, but instead, one of the endpoints terminated along the other line, thereby creating a loose end. Once I trimmed that properly, everything worked.

1 Like

Did you ever get to the bottom of the pink issue?

As noted on the wiki, Carbide Create has limited support for open paths: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable — best to close them before processing.

If need be, expand the path in your drawing program to the desired cut width (so long as that is at least 10% greater than the endmill diameter)

The manual discusses this as well: http://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/userguide/#polylines

Pro-Tip: The color of the line is a visual indication of the status of the object you are creating. When the line is purple, the object is ‘open’ and cannot have a toolpath applied to it.

It would be nice to have support for open paths, and the ability to cut open closed paths as well as a “follow path” toolpath option.

There are still scenarios where pink lines show up and I can’t figure out why. What I usually do in these scenarios is trace the troublesome line with a spline and then convert the spline to a multiline. The new line is usually accepted by Carbide Create, though this is more of a workaround than a solution.

Please send any such problem files to support@carbide3d.com, along w/ the source if possible — hopefully we can build up a suite of test files and fix this in the code.

I wrestled with this for hours and searched here for a solution. I found the solution, although it isn’t efficient. For anything on your design drawn in pink, as you know will not be carvable as a pocket or texture. To change it to black and have all tool path features available, go to the design mode of carbide create, make sure all shapes involved are not nested/grouped. Select them one at a time. When you do you will notice a “join” option appear in the edit box to the left. Click that option and the selected shape will turn black and become carvable. The real pain is that you have to do this with every single individual shape and can’t simply select the group, as far as I know. But it will allow you to finish your project the way you envisioned it. Happy carving!

1 Like

Will this create a new carved line where you don’t necessarily want one? If I “close” an intricate carving will it just have a random line carved across to close the loop?

That’s pretty frustrating

Yes, closing things will then create a connection and extend the path along them.

Post the file and we’ll do our best to work this out with you.

It’s saying my file size is too big… it is a police badge for a friend of mine. At the top there are a series of ‘feathers’ kind of that all overlap. I’m trying to see how to trace those from a picture he sent without having to create overlapping outlines… BUT still close the loop.

Thanks

Please try zipping the file, then posting it.

Sorry, figuring it out slowly on my own. I now figured that out…

I can now import my project into Carbide 3D (had to use FreeCAD to figure some stuff out). My problem now is my entire drawing is 2"x2". How do I ‘scale up’ what i’ve made to an actual project dimension?

Best thing to do is to always put a rectangle of known dimension around your project, then on import, select everything and scale as necessary.