Placing text layers as shape models - depth issue?

Hi all, I have an stl topo map I’ve imported onto a flat shape model base layer, with text I then also added onto the base layer shape. I used a regular 1/4" endmill finish pass to clear out the base square and the topo map. Then used a 1/16 TBM to do a finish pass over just the topo map and the text.

The topo map carved great, but my text has an odd 0.015" or so layer around it and the text also didn’t carve very well at all.

c2d file onedrive due to size :
c2d file - la-florida-topo-14x14-v2-wosouth.c2d

Is there a similar step around the edge of the topo?

It looks like you didn’t get your 2nd cutter zeroed exactly.

I would suggest only cutting the 3D portion of the job (the topo) using 3D paths. Use 2D pockets & contours to cut the rest.

Also, which fonts did you use? I don’t have your fonts so it changes the text on the design page. The 3D model is still the same, so it cuts your text, but the 3D representation of the text is not nearly as good as the 2D vectors.

1 Like

Thanks, @Tod1d this is on a 4XXL, I used bitsetter to set initial z zero with the 1/4 blank bit, then of course automatically measuring the 2 bits as the job progressed.

The 3d topo, I’m not really seeing a step around it, it looks good to me.

Yep that’s a thought on using regular pockets for the text, might try that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.