Placing XXL Pro on styrofoam

Can one place the CNC machine on 3” thick ceiling insulation? It’s styrofoam, so seems to have static as the little white pieces stick to everything. Will this idea work to stop vibration and some noise? Is there a way I can get rid of the static? The machine is well grounded.
Jeremy

Yes, folks have placed their machines on various sorts of foam — it helps deaden vibration and dampen noise — 3" thick styrofoam is a new option though, but should work — does vacuuming take care of the little pieces? Maybe seal the edges w/ a suitable glue?

A cheaper, more manageable option is the anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight — not as thick, but a pack (currently on sale for $9) of four squares will fit under an XXL.

1 Like

Thanks Will for the rapid response.
Jeremy

I made a torsion box to set my Shapeoko on. I used a 3/4 inch of rigid foam insulation underneath with the foil backing. The foil is point upwards and I dont think I get any static out of it.

1 Like

These caught my eye the other day. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat heavy duty, one piece easy to cut down to match your table. Not sure if they would be too dense though.

1 Like

Placing on pink insulation foam mostly came to the conversation with the SO3. The bed was not nearly as supported as the SOPro/SO4 with the hybrid bed. It was mostly used on the SO3 to add rigidity to the bed so it didn’t sag down in the middle. So structurally is not really needed on the SOPro/SO4. If sound damping is the goal, I’m also in favor of EVA foam. It’s literally designed to cushion. :slight_smile: It won’t have tiny white foam babies all over everything you own too. :smiley:

4 Likes

Polystyrene is probably not the best bet.

Styrene is highly flammable with low melting and ignition temperatures, produces streams of burning liquid and toxic smoke when ignited.

It’s also a rigid foam and so is likely to simply transmit noise in audio frequencies.

If you want something to isolate the machine, a sheet of this sort of stuff with a sheet of MDF or ply on top is likely a more effective route

https://www.trimacoustics.co.uk/product/acoustilay-soundproofing-mat-underlay/

3 Likes

Lots of great responses. Thanks for all the input.
Much appreciated community here.

Best,
Jeremy

1 Like

I will point out not all foam is the same. It’s rated in pounds here in the US. I made a wet bar out of 2lbs foam and veneered it in walnut. It can hold 300lbs person on top. It it’s self as a 3ft by 7fx by 4ft mass is in the 180bls once wrapped and topped with acrylic. I also features a 119 quart Ice Chest internally.

So 1/2 lbs foam and 2 lbs will perform completely differently.

Thank you

2 Likes

If vibration is the concern, I would use something softer than styrofoam or rigid insulation foam.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.