Plasma Cutting Shapeoko 3. No more EMI problems

It’s been a while since I was here sharing. I am always amazed at what you guys come up with. I was machining some parts on my old Shapeoko 3 and it was a long cycle. So I started cutting other parts for the project with my plasma cutter. As close as I can get to multitasking. Anyway I cut the parts and went back to the machine and I guess the interference from the plasma cutter confused the Shapeoko. It just said busy. So How can I make this better? The answer came from a YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idKb246qnAk&lc=UgwTCAxVanQNuyUx0-R4AaABAg

So I went crazy and soldered a bunch of 4700pf ceramic capacitors to every wire connection in my control box. One end to ground out the EMI. And it worked. No more EMI.

Then I started looking at all the parts I had to cut out of steel plate and said I need a cnc plasma cutter. I made wooden cylinder to fit the Shapeoko mount in place of my Makita. Then I mounted an old plasma cutter gun to a 48" long handle to that. The crazy thing works. Not great because its not a pilot ark. Using carbide create and carbide motion with a little edit in WordPad and it strikes the arc and cuts very fast. I will post a few pictures and a video if I can figure out how to do it.

2 Likes

5 Likes

A few more points of interest. Ask before you cut the handle off the snow shovel. Also when drilling new holes into your control box, remove the circuit board and avoid drilling into the USB plug. It saves you over a hundred dollars.

2 Likes

7 Likes

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.