Please Help - New Machine will not initialize

Set up the machine and went to initialize for the first time…no dice. This is the error I saw. Please let me know if there is a fix for this (yes I did contact support)

There was an error during the homing process:

Carbide Motion was unable to move off of the homing switches. There could be a hardware problem or something keeping the machine from moving.

There is a list of error codes at:

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/error-codes/

which links to:

https://my.carbide3d.com/docs/troubleshooting-homing/

There is no code listed it simply says the following:

There was an error during the homing process:

Carbide Motion was unable to move off of the homing switches. There could be a hardware problem or something keeping the machine from moving.

Open CM and connect but do not initialize. Under settings see if a proximity switch is activated. If one is not activated put a metal wrench on each of the 3 proximity switches and see if the state changes. If a proximity switch is always red on the switch itself check the wiring. I think what the error code is telling you is a switch is activated and so it fails to initialize.

1 Like

2 of the switches always are lit up. I have disconnected the corded and reconnected plus disconnected from the board as well. Any other suggestions.

Check in w/ support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work out how to handle this.

I did send something in and they asked to have a video sent which I did. I never heard back…just disappointing having a new machine that doesn’t work.

It is disappointing, but Carbide 3D will make take care of you. This could be anything from assembly issue to an issue with the wiring to bad switches to a defective controller.

That said, can you share that video here? Or at least describe exactly what happens when you try to home/initialize.

1 Like

Hi I have the same issues, while homing it jams up before homing and gets stuck…
give it a slight bump with your hand and it will free it self up… only problem is if your using bitsetter its not going to work, I am waiting on tech support to reach out to me on this matter…
v/r

So when I try to initialize it fails every time. I have disconnected all the connections and reconnected. Deleted and downloaded the software but no change. If I skip the initialization and go to the settings I see two of the limit switch connections lit up (I think x and y) however they are not lit up on the actual machine. If I then take a metal tool and place in front of each limit switch they light up on the machine as well as the computer screen.

The machine moves only about 6 inches on the initialization.

We’ll need to work out what is causing the switches to stay lit on Support.

Until then, bypass them as described at:

https://my.carbide3d.com/docs/troubleshooting-homing/#bypassing-homing-switches

that will allow you to at least test out the motion of the machine and do “Hello World” and so forth.

So, I had a homing error where the machine failed to Initialize because of the homing failure. I did not get the same error as you posted but similar. No matter what I did, I could not get it to work. One of the things I started to notice during this issue is the Gantry seemed to be out of sync. In other words, the right side would start and the left side would try and catch up. This made a terrible noise even when it seem to catch up with the right side. Either way both sensors on the right side would stay lit and the system would not move away from them resulting in the homing failure. The fix for me was a new stepper motor for the left side. I have some further information on how you can check the motors for proper operation if you need it. I know it can be frustrating being a new machine, but don’t lose your S&^% like I did. They will get it figured out. Fleming did a great job helping me. Good Luck.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.