Please helpšŸ™Upgraded to 1.5kw 220v spindle and having disconnect issues šŸ˜­

Unfortunately, it looks like I spoke too soon. I separated the frame and aluminum heatsink with kapton, used nylons screws, and verified there was no electrical connection between the two, but Iā€™m still seeing disconnects. One interesting thing I noticed is that the spindle body has 0 ohms resistance to the chiller, which is on the other circuit :frowning:. Itā€™s grounded through the coolant itself because I can read connectivity even when the chiller is unplugged.

That makes sense as the coolant is conductive (water).

I found this on amazon. Not sure if itā€™s worth a try or not. I do not get any disconnects with the computer(tablet or laptop) un plugged. But this limits me to 3.5-4 hours of cutting at a time and business is picking up.

I am still not at a point of being able to test my spindle since I have to have my machine running and its driving me crazy! lol
Soon thoughā€¦ I am getting everything soldered up, wires ran, etc to get ready to throw everything I can at this to get it going!

Actually, that is strange. Distilled water is non-conductive and the ethylene/propylene glycol in the antifreeze may allow some electrons through but it shouldnā€™t be 0 Ohms. Even conductive saltwater still is a poor conductor compared to metal and would probably register in the hundreds of Ohms.

2 Likes

Yep,

Agree with that, I suspect that the 0 Ohms is that mains earth is all the same earth in the house wiring and both the chiller chassis and the spindle are earthed.

Is the house earth actually/properly connected to earth? One way to verify this, but be careful as significant voltage differences can arise, it to bang a spike (6" or longer) into the dirt outside your workshop and measure the voltage difference between workshop earth and the earth ā€˜spikeā€™. If you are seeing more than 10vAC difference, it suggests that there is something amiss with your house earthingā€¦ either that or you have excessively long cables from the house to your workshop and perhaps consider using a ā€˜local earthā€™ - something a competent electrician should be able to do

1 Like

My multimeter may be misbehaving. In the video you can see it oscillating from 0 resistance to infinite resistance while connected to the spindle and chiller, with the chiller unplugged from the wall. At the end of the video I disconnect it from the spindle and it reads infinite resistance.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.