Pocket cut is offset

I am trying to do a pocket cut and have encountered a problem. While running a pocket cut earlier today I noticed that after the first pass the cut shifted over to the left on subsequent cuts. After the cut was finished I inspected everything as best I could. I found a small set screw, not sure how I missed it, laying on top of the gantry. I looked everything over again, this time using a flashlight and found where the screw had come out. It was supposed to be in the pulley on the X axis stepper motor. I put it back in, making sure it and all of the other pulley set screws were tight. I rezeroed the machine, started the cut again on the same piece to see what would happen. The cut was way off, actually cutting some of the letters away. I stopped the machine and deleted that file and ran thru a setup on the machine. I went back to the file in carbide create and saved a new g code file. I started with a new piece in the machine and this time it cut off set to the right. Iā€™m lost at this point as to what I have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Remove both set screws. On the stepper motor there is a flat. Make sure one of the set screws are on the flat. Some replace the set screws with cap screws because the head of a cap screw is larger and easier to tighten without stripping the head of the tiny set screws.

2 Likes

Thank you Guy, I will give that a try. You are right, the set screws are tiny. These old eyes had a hard time seeing them.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.