Pocket operation Software bug, Z still moving when XY starts

I am using a pocket operation to surface the spoil on the Shapeoko 5 Pro, I created a 1 pocket for each slate so its not machining a bunch of empty space.

I notices I had a ridge at the start of ever slat that disappears after a few inches, the back of each slat is perfectly smooth. I am pretty sure what is happening is the fly cutter plunges slowly compared to other bits and its still moving in Z when the XY motion starts.
This is where it plunges

This is the opposite ends

I cant feel any bumps as or artifacts at all on the back end.

EDIT: Here is my file, I added a horizontal path to try and take care of the defective area but other then that its exactly what I ran when I did the first pass.

Shapoko 5 pro Spoil Board.c2d (56 KB)

Please post your C2D file.

I’ve never seen this as a result of GCode. Instead, this kind of behavior has been something loose on the Z Axis, so it ‘settles’ as the pocket progresses.

2 Likes

Sorry didnt see this before I went to bed, will do later tonight. I will check the Z again tonight, but I dont think there is anything loose, I just releveled to make sure there was no side to side rotation.

In I did peek at the Gcode but I am not expert at GCode. The Z was on a line by itself then it had its XY move on the next line. I program robots for a living and there is a feature where as you move from one point to the next the robot will round off the points for speed purposes. I was thinking that there might be something like that in the gcode to smooth motions. Also the pattern on each slat is identical I would think if it was caused by something loose it would be less repeatable but I am not an expert with cncs.

I added the file, The Z axis seems rock solid to me. Do have a suggestion on what to check to looseness? I cant even get a slight wiggle by hand.

Do you have a dial indicator, or anything that is a known thickness like 1-2-3 blocks?

EDIT - Actually, you can use just about anything that is a consistent thickness.

This will check your Z axis for backlash. It’s not the only way to have Z axis slop, but knowing one way or the other will help direct your attention.

• Find something flat of consistent thickness. Set Z Zero to the top of that. Move the stock out of the way, and move your Z down to Z=0. You stock should just fit under it, with no space or digging in.
  • On the Jog tab, and switch to the speed that is one down from ‘Fast’. If you are in metric, that would be 1mm / jog.
  • Move the stock out of the way, and jog down, say 4 times, then jog up the same number of times. Check the Z position using your stock - has the Z ended up too high / low?
  • Check again, but first go up 4 times, the down the same number. Check your Z using the stock - is it too high / low?

If your Z has no backlash, then it should end up at exactly the same height as your original Z Zero.

I do have a dial indicator, after reading your post I think I have a definitive way to prove one way or the other if its the machine or software but I will need a few days to figure out how to rig up the test.

I will say this though I routinely mill lamacoid tags with a vbit if I had slop in the Z axis I do not think they would come out well as if the height was inconsistent so would be the line width.