Pocketing & chamfering edge on rounded aluminum

My project involves making a simple pocket in aluminum and then lightly chamfering the edge. I have done this very easily in flat stock with a 274z using an offset with a 501 bit to create the chamfer, but I have no idea how to go about doing this on a slightly rounded piece of aluminum stock.

Creating the rounded surface to match my stock was pretty easy using a round model shape, but from there on I have no idea how to make this work.

The slightly rounded shape I created in the “model” tab turns completely flat when I click “simulation” in the toolpaths tab… and creating any kind of 3D roughing or finishing toolpath makes everything really jagged and I can’t get a nice clean pocket with chamfer that I need.

Maybe I’m missing something, or is there a proper way to go about this?

Attached is the basic idea, minus the offset chamfer for the pocket since I’m having trouble even understanding where to start.

Thanks!

pocket on curved surface.c2d (156 KB)

1 Like

Pocket toolpaths, and all other 2D toolpaths (except Texture) are flat bottom & don’t follow the 3D shape.
Only the 3D paths follow the shape.

If you want a 0.200 deep pocket with the contoured shape, add 0.800 base height to your model component. Then use a 3D toolpath within the smaller boundary. Should look like this

Hi Tod, thanks for your help. To clarify, I’m not trying to create a pocket with that contoured shape… my aluminum stock starts off as that contoured shape already. It is not flat.

I’m trying to make an ordinary flat bottom pocket in this slightly rounded stock, and then run a contour path with an offset with a 501 engraver to create a nice little chamfered edge around the top edge of the rounded pocket.

The 501 would have to follow the contour of the rounded stock to create a nice even chamfer (and to keep from breaking). That’s really the part I can’t figure out how to do – how to get CC to follow that slightly rounded contoured edge on the top edge of the pocket.

1 Like

Ah, OK. Now I understand :smiley:

To see the rounded shape in the toolpath simulation, you need to create a dummy finish 3D path.
Then cut the pocket to the depth you want.

CC can’t follow the edge of the 3D shape to chamfer the pocket edge. You’ll need a more robust CAM software for that one.

You could model the chamfer & cut it with a ball mill, but it won’t be a nice smooth chamfer as if it were cut with a chamfer (Vee) tool.

1 Like