I apologize in advance if my question is answered elsewhere, or if this is some extremely obvious, self-inflicted user error that I am overlooking. I’m a novice. I haven’t seen this same issue on any other thread, but I appreciate any advice or guidance this community can provide.
I have a Shapeoko XXL pro
I keep running into issues with my cut depth- It is at least 60% too deep on all pocket cuts.
When I create pockets (For a box,) they cut through the bottom of my piece.
I ran some test pockets in a 1.7" deep piece of poplar to see the results-
When I set the max depth to .25" the result is .39" (64% too deep)
Max depth is set to .5", the result is .79" (63% too deep)
Max Depth set to .75", the result is 1.2". (62% too deep)
Finally, if I set it to 1.25, it cuts through the 1.7" piece and into the waste-board approx 1.8" (69% too deep.)
To setup, I measure the bit depth on the bit setter. Then I manually reset 0 to the X, Y, and Z axis to the upper left corner I am working on.
I haven’t noticed any issues with the v cuts I have done, but that is probably due to it only cutting to the depth of the V…
Thanks in advance for your help!
Did you configure for an HDZ when you have a Z-Plus Z-axis?
If that’s not it, post your .c2d file and let us know step-by-step how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine.
Thank you so much for your help!
I bought my Shapeoko used off of offerup… I am not sure which setup is on it. Doing research now to find out.
I didn’t configure either during setup, so whichever is default is how mine is set.
Great starting points to check. Thank you! I will let you know if this is the issue.
This is a picture of an HDZ. The HDZ turns in the opposite direction of a Z-Plus. The identifying features are there is a bearing at the bottom of the ball screw that drives the Z up and down.
Here is a Z-Plus. The Z-Plus is identifiable by the leadscrew that runs the Z up and down has no bearing at the bottom. There is a stud with a hole through it that the leadscrew runs through but is not captured by it. The Z-Plus has less steps than an HDZ per MM so that might explain why you are getting too deep of a pocket.
Go through the configuration and select the Shapeoko you have and the Z you have. During the configuration you will be prompted to set the position of your BitSetter.
First off, thank you both so much for your help. Sorry that my response has been delayed; life thinks I should have other priorities. I disagree, but here we are.
@gdon_2003 I see similarities to both images you posted, but mine doesn’t exactly match either. I’ve included pictures below.
As far as the other questions posed by @WillAdams, I have been securing my stock using the tape and superglue method. I have created a simple box, and I have included the file below for the bottom section. There are no tool changes required for this section of the box.
1 Box Bottom.c2d (84 KB)
I will try and see if my initial configurations are to blame, but first I have adjusted some projects I am making (taking into account the approx 60% discrepancy in cutting depth) and I don’t want to fix the issues until I have completed the projects.
That looks to be a Pro with a Z-Plus. Let us know what you find out after configuring thus.
Be sure to head over to https://my.carbide3d.com to see the training videos we have for new Shapeoko owners.
As @WillAdams said it looks like a Z-Plus. It is definitely not an HDZ because they have a bearing at the bottom. Perhaps the previous owner modified it with the two screws on each side of the leadscrew. Plus there is a cage at the top of the HDZ between the Z motor and the body with a coupler in between.
Let us know if re-configuring fixes your issue.
SUCCESS!! Thank you all SO much.
I finally finished the 7 projects I was in the middle of, so I was able to look at this again. It was completely user error on my part, and once I went in and reconfigured the settings and changed to the z plus, it is working perfectly. I was also able to center the default on my bit setter, which is a large improvement as well. Once again, THANK YOU GUY, ROB, AND WILL!!! This community really is the best.