Point to Point drawing request

Carbide Create Pro… Is any work being done to add a line tool that accepts keyed-in dimensions?

I’ve found many times, that when drawing in CC - especially simple fittings and prototype parts, that I really have to do backflips to create the exact sized shapes that I need when dealing with exact measurements. Snap to grid is fine for a lot of things, but drawing exact dimensions is far harder, and takes way more steps and time than it needs to. A line drawing tool that accepts keyed dimensions is all it would take to save me hours on some simple drawings.

I really like CCPro and find it’s simplicity to be a benefit the majority of the time… but when trying to draw relatively accurate drawings of 2D and 2.5D parts… ugh…

This is a small bit of added complexity that would open up a far wider range of possibilities for me… I have to imagine I’m not the only user this would help. I’m not ready or able yet to spend the time necessary to learn fusion or any of the other more complex CAM programs, so Carbide Create is really my only toolbox. I hope you will consider this update.

(and if this function is buried in there somewhere, then I’d like to revise this suggestion to a user interface improvement)

2 Likes

This is not possible in Carbide Create at this time.

The work-arounds are:

• draw a rectangle, and then either edit it, or use snapping to the nodes to draw the desired line
  • draw a line, use the move command to put one point where desired, drag the other using snapping
  • draw one line, save it as a file, edit the underlying JSON code, and re-import it

We’ve pretty much always suggested that folks who run up against limitations in Carbide Create use a 3rd party program to address the lacunae (and put in a feature request) — I still do that from time-to-time myself.

2 Likes

I would suggest they add a fixed, always visible transform box (not contextually activated), such as this one from Affinity:

When not using it, it gives you precise details about the selected object or point. And it gives you the ability to precisely define pretty much everything. And it cuts down on the variances in the CC UI.

Oh, and “lacunae” … great word, Will!

5 Likes

I personally have to give Will credit on his vocabulary. I have found myself more than once, this time include and not only by him, having to look up definitions.

5 Likes
  1. Draw your line longer than it needs to be. Draw a circle with center at one end of line, type in radius. Trim line to circle.
2 Likes

I agree. There are so many beautiful words we no longer use that add flavour and nuance to ideas. I applaud their use!

All very clever workarounds… but that’s kind of my point. A bit too clever for such an elementary and important function.

Carbide Create has a lot of complex functions built-in already…but my understanding is that it’s been designed to be approachable by users new to CNC, right? Well a measured point to point line tool is very familiar to users of most CAD programs, including fusion, and even sketchup. It would greatly lower the barrier to entry for users to create even more creations.

But for precise drawing of components, like with prototyping, and especially with components that need to fit with existing parts, the ability to specify exact dimensions is a pretty critical function. Drawing the perimeter of an exact cutout part, for instance, should take seconds… but having to take such workaround for every line feels like a major shortcoming, and really raises the learning curve.

This kind of tool also offers the secondary benefit of being a measurement tool for the exact placement of other shapes. Positioning drill points for instance.

I humbly request that this feature be considered for the short list of addons. It’s not a specialty feature. The development of these clever workarounds is evidence of it’s noticeable absence. This one feature would widely expand the understandability and capabilities of the software… and I’d be willing to be that nearly every carbide create user would benefit from having this tool in the toolbox.

*“What’s the quickest way from A to B?” *

“…Well you draw a box and resize it until and then split the vector and delete the lines that you don’t need….”

:thinking:

1 Like

You can draw a line from A to B — so long as they are defined by the grid or nodes which can be snapped to — the issue is how A and B are defined.

Yes, both the issue and the opportunity.

For a straight line you can use the spreadsheet calculator I posted with the formulation done for you. Arcs and that stuff I don’t know how to do.
I couldn’t find it so here it is again.
Length of line in CC.zip (5.2 KB)

I know you say you don’t like Fusion 360. Me too until I recently ran into a YouTube tutorial. IF you can stick with this for 3 different sessions I guarantee you will learn a lot about how to manage it in basics. The guy gives great explanations in short videos that will get you going in it.

Just type in the following in your browser’s search field.
“Learning Fusion 360 or die trying”

1 Like

For Fusion 360 training “Lars Christianson” has great tutorials on YouTube.

2 Likes

Didn’t say I didn’t like fusion 360. I just don’t know it yet.

The intent of this was to request a user friendly feature for the software that is intended to be user friendly.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Yeh, but I was just trying to give you an easy workaround. You never know IF or WHEN Carbide will include such requests as yours in the software. And what you were interested in as ‘line length’ is very easy to learn in Fusion 360 using that Instructors lessons.
“Learning Fusion 360 or die trying”
I went through the first three sessions and he has that in there.

There is a feature request category.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.