Portrait Frame (3 hours to make)

My wife asked me to make her an 8” by 10” portrait frame. I didn’t have a lot of time so I slapped together a funky profile in Fusion. Turned out better than I hoped, though I realized after the initial pass that I’d made the profile so steep that I’d get ‘layer lines’ (and I’m too lazy to code another pass with a smaller bit). Side note: I’ve been 3D printing corner brackets to use in the glue up. They have a negative profile matching the frame profile, so I don’t have to stress about applying too much tension. The frame is mahogany with Odie’s dark oil.

20 Likes

Very nice.

For anyone looking to make a frame, @45rpm has a great walk-through video on how he made a custom frame. I really appreciate the way he explains things.

2 Likes

So, what angle did you cut the mitered corners? :smiley:

The angle is easily calculated for this size frame :

1 Like

:smiley: You are incorrect. (In a woodworking environment.)

I would have gone for 51.34° and 38.66° for a perfect diagonal corner to corner.

Does that require two different profiles for the horizontal and vertical to allow them to meet on that angle?

3 Likes

For the visually inclined … :smiley:

The Perfect Miter

1 Like

Yes, we have CNC machines don’t we?

1 Like

Got it. The hammer and everything looks like a nail. :rofl:

1 Like

I assume this is a spoof on the angle of the corners. Assuming the sides are equal width the miter will be 45° regardless of the aspect.

I’d like to state this is obvious but I just built a frame for my wife and had to think awhile about it terms of whether I could assemble using dowels at the corners, a related concept.

1 Like

Wow! That came out great. Think I’ll try that after I complete my next watercolor painting. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

That is a fabulous idea!

Nice excuse to start looking to add a 3printer to my arsenal, too!

I’ve really just begun to tap into the benefits of having a 3D printer. Depending on your workflow and/or the software you use, you’re already working on a 3D object–so it’s pretty easy to use that same file to make custom brackets or other work-holding tools. It’s been a game changer!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.