Pro XL Z-axis makes horrible noise

Just finished assembling my shapeoko pro xl and flashed all the settings in and hit initialize. At first it did hit the (z-axis) limit switch and the light turned on, but I got an error message. After that it didn’t go even close to the switch. Also everytime when the z-axis moves it makes horribe grinding noise. I get an error before it even tries to move x/y-axes.

Did also noted that when I first turned my machine on it starts humming. I don’t think that is normal when there is no movement. It shouldn’t make no noise, am I right?

Is my z-axis faulty? Could it be the stepper motor wiring? Stepper phases connected wrong? Is there a wiring diagram available?

Make sure you’ve sent the machine configuration per the assembly instructions for your machine — for 517 and later: Setting Grbl Configuration in CM 517 and later

Note that it may help to temporarily disable or disconnect accessories when troubleshooting. For configuring a BitSetter see: Introducing BitSetter - Automated Tool Length Probing for Shapeoko - YouTube

There is a basic page on troubleshooting the homing switches at: Home Switch Troubleshooting - Carbide 3D

There is also a Carbide 3D Answer video: Basic Shapeoko Limit Switch Troubleshooting - YouTube

For the new inductive homing switches: Troubleshooting: Proximity Switch Troubleshooting - YouTube and Adjusting: Adjusting the Proximity Switches - YouTube

If you continue to have difficulties, let us know at support@carbide3d.com (let us know you’ve seen the above links and what you’ve tried and let us know step-by-step what the machine does) and we’ll do our best to get this sorted out w/ you.

1 Like

Found out the noise is coming from the motor connections. I think there are wayyy too many connections between motors and controller box. Well, I wiggled the z-motor connector because it started sounding like a bagpipe and when got it on the same note as other motors it worked. Now I have to secure it in a way it can’t move… I think it has to be soldered or it will cause problems in future.

But now the issue is the y-axis. It just drives to front and never goes to limit switch in the back(where it should). And the sound is ones again horrible. Why it goes straight to front where there is no limit switch?? Makes no sense.

If the Y-axis is reversed (moves to the front when no homing switch is active), then you can reverse it to home at the rear by powering down and swapping the two Y-axis connectors.

1 Like

Oh, never mind, I changed my YL-motor from Y1 to y2 and YR from Y2 to Y1. Should work now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.