Pro XXL Enclosure

Purchased a used Shapeoko Pro XXL last August. The first photo is the Pro XXL on the table that came with it The second is the enclosure that I made using 8020 aluminum extrusion. used .750" MDF for the siding as to help reduce the noise as its more dense than plywood.

IMG_0890

11 Likes

Do you have a port for a dust extraction hose (connect to Sweepy)?

Not shown on this picture but yes I drilled a hole and used PVC fittings on the left front corner then hooked up the hose internally to the Sweepy. I have a dust extraction boom arm with a hose attached that I use. I 3D printed some clips to hold the hose to the top when not in use. I don’t use the Sweepy when I’m machining aluminum.

That’s great, looks awesome!

I keep thinking I want to build an enclosure for my 4XL to reduce the noise, but I find that I’m always checking on the job, how the machine is functioning and cleaning afterwards that it would get in the way more than I would appreciate the noise reduction.

With the Sweepy haven’t had to clean up afterward doing wood but with aluminum its a little of a pain to clean. The size of the enclosure was determined on the amount of 8020 I got for free. for the noise reduction alone its worth it. I do a lot of one off aluminum parts for work and that alone is quite noisy and the chips fly everywhere.

2 Likes

I haven’t even thought about messing with aluminum or any metal yet - working with wood and epoxy resin are keeping me busy so far. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

When making an enclosure always make it as big and tall as possible to aid in maintenance and cleaning.

Nice enclosure.

2 Likes

I would love to convert my enclosure to 8020 from 2x2’s and plexiglass. $ is always an issue. Someday.

1 Like

I was lucky to get the 8020. A project ended at work which left a lot of 8020 that wasn’t going to be used again so I grabbed it.

1 Like

Making it any larger wouldn’t have worked I only had a limited amount of 8020 and if I did have more I’m dealing with limited space in my garage so making it wider wouldn’t work as my wife has to park her car in there and I have a lot of wood working tools. I’m looking at getting a CO2 laser in the future and plan to place it on top of the enclosure if possible. As for maintenance if needed I can slide it forward on to a adjustable work bench to access anything I need to when needed

2 Likes

Do you have plans? I would like to build one when i order my tooling.

Hi Ron

I didn’t make a drawing as I really didn’t think that anyone would ask. I can provide you with a cut list along and pictures and with the links for the brackets on amazon when I’m on my Christmas break from work if that will help.

1 Like

I would really appreciate that if you could. I’ll be placing mine in the garage and it would be if the neighbors did complain.

I get it. I really made the enclosure because I live in a duplex and cant afford to piss off my neighbors and my wife was also complaining about the noise.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.