Pro XXL issues with proximity sensors

Thanks again Will. If I get the tool, repin the connectors and strap it with a zip tie will I remain in my warranty?

FYI - my center colors are correct, only the outside wires are swapped.

Yes, but contact us at support@carbide3d.com and weā€™ll send replacement wiring extensions.

Will,

Support has sent 3 sets of extension wires alreadyā€¦ Itā€™s been 9 days since I completed my build and havenā€™t been able to make any chips yet. Itā€™s getting frustratingā€¦

Thanks for your help.

Someone recently referenced a post where someone trim a corresponding chamfer on the opposite corner of the plug, and was able to plug it in ā€œbackwardsā€, If you go that route, I would tape it together as it would probably not stay together without the latch.

Thanks Steveā€¦ I plugged it in backward to prove the cables were incorrect and Iā€™ve drawn things, squared x and y and adjusted the steps (distance) of x and yā€¦ Iā€™m just waiting to get the right cables before I make some chipsā€¦

Well, at least now you know that everything works, and had the satisfaction of seeing it in motion.

The extraction process for microfit connectors is a bit more destructive. Theyā€™re not really meant to be reused. Youā€™ll need to crimp some new pins if you go that route.

2 Likes

Thanks Neilā€¦ thatā€™s what I was thinking and why I am reluctant to do it since the machine is brand new and under warranty. For the money spent, it should be fixed correctlyā€¦ itā€™s now day 11.

Absolutely Steveā€¦ and I was able to do alignments, etcā€¦ .Iā€™m just ready to make some chips.

Glad I found this post. Brand new to CNC and just finished assembling my Shapeoko Pro XXL. Having the same issue with initializing and X & Z lights on controller are lit. Iā€™ve left a message with support for help. I am not an electrician.

Jake,

Welcome! Youā€™ll love it! If you have any questions, just let me knowā€¦

To get your machine operatingā€¦

1. find the wires on your x and z proximity sensors (z is at the spindle and x is on the controller side of the machine)
  2. look at the color of the wires. If the colors donā€™t pass directly through the connector (black to black, etc.) then flip the connector. It will be a snug fit, but just push it on far enough to make a connectionā€¦ about 1/2 way)
  3. Turn your machine back on and check the lights on your board. If they are all off, connect to the machine following the instructions in the manual, ensuring you send the config file before initializing.
  4. Initialize your machine and keep your finger on the machines power buttonā€¦ just in case.
  5. If it homes properly, youā€™re in good shape.

Support has given me the OK to zip tie the connectors to ensure they donā€™t come apart during operation, but you may want to call them, just in case. Fleming from support told me they were going to go through the wire inventory and straighten everything outā€¦ hopefullyā€¦ itā€™s day 11 for me since my build was completedā€¦

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com and send photos showing how your X and Z-axis homing switches are mounted and wired up, including the wiring connections including at the controller and weā€™ll do our best to get this sorted out.

I cant believe that after this new machine was out for over a year they are still having quality issues with cable connectors.

2 Likes

Will,

Iā€™ve spoke with support about this and emailed back and forth beginning on 1/8 and as recent as yesterday. Iā€™ve sent pictures at the end of last week when requested by support. Unfortunately, the only solution until yesterday was to send another set of cables, of which, I have 4 sets, not counting the set on my machine. Support let me know yesterday they will work with the inventory folks to identify the bad cables and pull them out of inventory. Not sure what else I can do other than wait.

I do think that my warranty should be extended to cover the lost time.

Please let us know about that at support@carbide3d.com and weā€™ll see what can be worked out.

Thanks Willā€¦ I asked.

Tom

Question for everyone having these cabling issuesā€¦

I received from support two cables that were re-pinned. You can tell, since the heat wrap was missing from the connector endsā€¦ The cable for the X proximity sensor works great, case closed.

On the Z axis proximity sensor, Carbide repinned the cable from the transition connections (X and Y rails connection) and not the cable from the sensor to that transition, so what I ended up with is wiring that flips at the gantry and then flips back again at the transition. When I spoke with support, they said this was intentional, but then said that have a big problem with a vendors cables, and then said they are issuing new machines and will be, Iā€™m guessing until the wiring is spent from inventoryā€¦

I told support that my machine is working (with the flipped wiring), so Iā€™m happy with that, but when will I receive proper cables and they couldnā€™t give me an answerā€¦ I think this is unacceptable. If I paid for a new machine, I should get a proper machine. Flipping wiring doesnā€™t sound proper to me. Iā€™m moving from an MPCNC to a Pro XXL because I wanted to get out of the ā€˜projectā€™ aspect of the machine and Iā€™m right back there with wonky wiring. I had thoughts of posting back on the V1 forums how well this machine worksā€¦ well yea, it works very well, but it still feels like project mode.

Lastly, the feeling I got from support at the end of the call wasā€¦ this is it, live with it, we have no idea when we will get correct wiring in. I even asked, that if you can re-pin the wrong cable (Z limit into the controller), which was incorrect, why canā€™t you re-pin the correct cable for me and send it out? Cricketsā€¦ So I asked him to escalate the issue for me. Havenā€™t heard anything back yet.

Itā€™s 21 days tomorrow since I completed the build and Iā€™m still taking my valuable time out of the shop, trying to get my brand new CNC working as it is advertised.

I appreciate all opinionsā€¦ am I being unreasonable?

No, you are not being unreasonable ā€” please let us know at support@carbide3d.com and weā€™ll do our best to assist.

Thanks Will.

As I said in the note, I did and they left me withā€¦ this is the best we can do and we donā€™t know when or if you will ever get the correct cables. Thatā€™s when I asked to escalate the issue. I asked him to send me info so I can speak to someone higher in the organization and havenā€™t heard anything back yet.

Jorge - I wasnā€™t able to thank you since you closed this thread, so I thought Iā€™d try to edit a previous postā€¦ Thank you for taking care of thisā€¦ Just to be clear, there are three cables involvedā€¦ Z limit from the gantry extension, Z extension to the controller, and X limit to the controller. When folks repinned the connectors, they repinned the Z extension to the controller, which made it work, but kept the wires flipped. If they would have repinned the Z extension at the gantry, it would have been perfect. Maybe they were trying to save me from taking about 2 drag chains, but I prefer the wiring be correct and do as much wire management as necessaryā€¦ Anyway, thanks again.

@swill01 The wiring should have been correct from the beginning, but I understand that we sent you an extension with the two flipped wires to make your machine functional and minimize your downtime by not making you take apart the drag chain. Personally I would go that route if it was my machine, because Iā€™d have a working machine with minimal impact (and it could be my engineer pragmatism), but I completely understand that itā€™s not your preference and weā€™ll make it right. In fact, some of us here at HQ would rather undo the drag chain to put in matching extensions. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

We want you to be happy with your machine, no matter how big or small an issue might be, so weā€™ll ship you a new set of extensions with all haste.

Our goal has always been to keep the conversation here in the forum positive and productive, and while we understand that itā€™s a convenient avenue to vent, Iā€™m locking the thread because itā€™s swinging away from constructive.