Pro5 with ER20 2.2kw spindle - love it!

I upgraded from Carbide’s VFD to the 2.2kw spindle kit from PWNCNC and just wanted to share some thoughts as it’s been a massive upgrade for me. Couldn’t be happier and wish i had just gone this route from the beginning. I chose the kit from PWNCNC because I didn’t want to mess with putting it all together myself, i just don’t have the time for that. You could and save some money, but that wasn’t for me, as i’ve gotten older i’ve leraned

Pro’s:

• ER20 Collet (1/2" bits!!!)
  • More powerrrrrrr - I’ve been able to increase my speeds
  • Full VFD control, i can switch to manual mode mid-cut and adjust my speed
  • Remote keypad/control
  • I can finally pause mid-cut, power off the spindle, and let the machine sit for a few hours

Con’s:

• no 80mm spindle mount from Carbide available (PWNCNC has one though)
  • lead time, took a bit to get

Issues:

• I have an issue where when i power off, as the spindle drops on the Z axis, it spins, i’m hoping to get this sorted out, but right now it’s annoying and something to remember so i don’t drive my bit into the bed or anything else (right now i just always remove the bit), i just need to contact PWNCNC and see what they say

4 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the PWNCNC 2.2kw spindle for awhile now. My biggest concern is the mount. I attach my laser to my current mount and that doesn’t look to be an option with the PWNCNC mount.

I’m very curious what kind of feeds, speeds, doc, you can get with that thing. Please keep us updated as you learn more.

Yes, you lose that side mount. I had emailed J Tech and they said they could make a mount for me. I have been looking at their lasers for awhile now.

Yup, still figuring out what i can run and how fast, but i’ve been slowing increasing speeds so far without any issues.

Also have a 2" surfacing bit i want to try out, but i ran into an issue with bitsetter as the bitsetter fits right into the middle of it and messed up the Z height, learned that the hard way.

1 Like

I have a 2.2w air cooled spindle/VFD package on order. The lead time is in strict invoice rotation, depending when you order. I expect to get mine halfway through May. I also ordered the V7 dustboot. I have changed all of the system V wheels for new ones, in addition to the ones that came with the HDZ upgraded Z axis. I also changed all of the Gates GT2 belts. Image shows machine ready to receive the new spindle.

Jay can also provide a spindle mounted laser. He may be able to mount your existing laser on a spindle mount. I found the original 3D printed carbide specific mount usable for a while. In the end I created my own mount in 10mm thick acrylic. It was brittle and cracked around the screw holes I had made to mount it onto the original carbide spindle mount. In the end I made it from 10 mm aluminium.

The Carbide 80mm HD mount has a couple of screw holes which could be used to mount a plate for the laser. I will probably do that once I have everything installed.

pix.
acrylic mount:

aluminium mount:

3 Likes

Nice on the laser mount!

I had the PwNCNC dust boot on my previous spindle and liked it, I run a 4” hose.

1 Like