Probing Bores for 2nd Ops

Hey there! Quick question:

Shapeoko XL w/ V1 of the touch Probe.

Say I am performing a second op that requires me to flip the aluminum workpiece 180* to access the back. Is there a way that I can place to the touch probe on the surface of the piece, have the bit inside of a bore that I milled through it and tell Carbide motion I am using V2 of the touch probe to find my X / Y from the workpiece itself?

This seems like the most accurate way to reference the work piece, but I wonder what the probing range is for that bore or if it would only work with bores the same size as the V2 probe?

I think this should be an easy thing to implement in Carbide Motion if nothing else, and would definitely make my life easier!

Thanks!

1 Like

I was actually just wondering if you could tell CM that you are using the v2 to probe for the center of a bore. I will probably test that out in a few days, but previously I have just manually jogged until the probe lights up and use those references.

2 Likes

Just wanted to update I tested this with my “Renishaw” probe (1/4" dowel pin) and it works!

Curious probing just X or just Y as the V2 will also cause it to probe in all 4 directions. But after probing each (without the piece held down 'cause I was scurred, haha) it perfect centered in the bore.

Gonna try to track down an 1/8" dowel pin for probing smaller bores but I think this is an excellent little hack.

5 Likes

I hadn’t looked into the V2 but this is sweet. I will be using this trick. Looks like I need to get some 1/8th dowel pins.

1 Like

Let me know if you find a good source of precision ones. There are some on Amazon but it’s $30 for a lot of 25. Seems excessive haha.

Could get a gage pin
https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-4103-0125-Replacement-0-0002-Tolerance/dp/B01BHHI5Q0

Or calibration blank
https://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/calib_blanks.asp&filter=13

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.