Problem opening stl files in Pro

Always appreciate the insight from members. I purchased an stl file from etsy this afternoon and when I go to import it on CC Pro, nothing loads. I did a quick search here and from what I’ve found, I believe it may be a 2d file showing what it would look like as a 3d file. How do I convert this, or load this into pro? The topic I found was deleted as the 30 day expiration date hit and I am unsure of the outcome, or solution to the question.
I am not able to load the file, so I included the Etsy link, hope that helps?
Thank you!

I would try another STL file viewer to confirm the content. Windows has a Paint 3D free app.
There are a lot of viewers.
The free Cura program from Ultimaker for 3D printing works.

See:

If that doesn’t work, e-mail the STL in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work through it with you.

1 Like

I was able to replicate this problem with the STL file as provided to support.

Opening the file in the MS 3D Builder tool as suggested by @jtclose:

and then resaving resulted in a much smaller file, which successfully imported:

If you want the bird projecting from a flat piece of stock, there are two options:

• model the flat stock, then add the STL to it
  • model the bird, then add the flat area as a separate region

both work.

When importing the pheasant you might want to add a base height to it:

Then model the base stock:

Then assign a roughing toolpath:

then add finishing toolpath(s):

1 Like

The Toolpath images appear to show both raster lines and contours following the topology of the bird. Are both of these cut by the machine? If so, I’m supposing the contours are cut last? And likely used to nibble off the jaggies from the raster cut, a machine form of antialiasing. (BTW, this appears the same as what I saw trying a 3D model in Meshcam last night.)

A whole new ball game getting into 3D here, thanks for the time.

1 Like

Yes, the 3D roughing toolpath does a waterline contour so as to remove material around the stock more consistently I believe.

Note that when you import the STL there is an automatic tracing made of it, so that one has access to that geometry if one wishes to make use of it.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed reply and images, William. I always appreciate the effort and time posting images to help. I am confused by Byrne’s reply/question. Looking at the Finishing Toolpath, the finishing bit has to go over the entire base (flat area)? I thought with the roughing bit removing the stock on the flat piece around the bird, the finishing bit would not have to go over it again.
Also- are these somewhat accurate cut times?
I am going to try to model this now and will return with other questions, as I’m sure I’ll have a few.

Thanks again William!

Because a roughing toolpath leaves the specified thickness of stock (or more), it is necessary to clean that up.

That said, it would probably be better to use the auto-traced outline of the STL to cut away the flat area.

How would one set up the auto trace outline feature, and when in the sequencing of toolpaths?

The auto-trace happens automatically.

You can put it in whichever order you wish, based on what makes sense as determined by the other toolpaths.

I don’t mean to get too far off the subject, however, today I heard of a new-to-me source for CNC files. The URL is: https://cncplanetart.com/
The guy who gave the info said he has had good luck with all of the files he has purchased from there.

Appreciate all the help, especially from William (whom I bothered numerous times). I finally got the file figured out, minus some clean edges that I needed to dremel around. Thank you as always for the support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.