Proximity Switch Mounts

Does anyone know where I could buy some mounts for proximity limit switches? I bought some Switches to wire up and could probably make some mounts that will work but won’t look all that great I’m sure and I’m currently working on rewiring my garage and sub panel because the previous owner did a crap job and never had it inspected. So if anyone knows some place that sells them or if someone would be willing to 3D print some for me I would be grateful. I am running the new HDZ so that will need to be considered for that mount.

Thanks for any help.

Well since I haven’t had any luck finding commercial mounts I am probably going to see what I can make this weekend. Just another reason I can bring to the wife of why the kids and I need a 3D printer.

@Sinned worked recently on a set of beautiful 3D-printed parts , you may want to take a look at that.

EDIT: oh, and do convince your family to let you buy a 3D printer, this is great fun (if you are not shooting for the low-end of the range) and an invaluable tool for all sorts of quick prototyping / customizing the Shapeoko.

2 Likes

Hey Adam,

@Julien said I got a pair of sets and you could order it direct over thingiverse or if you are around Europe I could send you a few.

Br

I’m in the US, I was talking to a coworker he has a 3D printer and sounds like he might be willing to print some for me. Thanks

Yeah I have seen quite a few times people have used them to improve on their Shapeoko. The kids really want one and I’ve been thinking about it. Was thinking about the Prusa i3.

1 Like

That’s what I went for (after I spent a year discovering by myself what’s wrong with 250$ models), I couldn’t be happier. It ‘just works’, no messing around with the firmware and using multiple tips and tricks, only assemble with great care, and you’re set. You will still make mistakes, but at least they won’t add up with machine issues.

I just finished printing this, which I had tried to print unsuccessfully a few times on my previous printer:

4 Likes

I have a prusa mini on the way

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, I think one of your posts actually got me looking at the Prusa in the first place.

having two ender 5 here (low cost around 230 bucks with shipping) and they perform gorgeuos even in stock config. never had an issue and my part quality is superior… at work we have an industrial 3ds machine and it doesnt perfom that much better.

can understand the frustration but it changed a lot in the last years

I’ve looked at creality a bit, Facebook has been spamming me with their adds. I might have to do some more looking, a lot easier to convince the wife at around $300 vs $800. I used up my extra brownie points, that I gained by buying her a Cricut as an early Christmas present, on buying myself an HDZ during the Black Friday sale.

Oh man Adam… Truly can feel that if you want to trade you have to invest :sweat_smile:

Let this petg here fly away

2 Likes

I have an Ender 5 and it works well out of the box, probably best bang for the buck but I had a problem with the SD card provided, once I replaced the card, all the problems went away.

2 Likes

@luc.onthego same here… Short prints worked longer (25h+) stopped mid print… But was an easy fix

So is the ender worth buying for a budget 3D printer, that will mainly be used for making parts for the ShapeOko and whatever the kids fancy ( video game swords, guns, and masks)?

Yes.

I use/manage/maintain about a dozen 3D printers. I do not have direct experience with the Ender Pro, but I had an 8th grader assemble a kit over a weekend and the prints he brought in were as good as any. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

2 Likes

I bought the proximity switches from Beaver CNC while it they were still selling them. I’d say you could get some sheet aluminum and make your own mounts pretty quick. They just won’t be the pretty blue

Hopefully this will be C3D next product.

1 Like

Yeah I saw his kit on his website, really wish you could still buy it. You would think it would have been a lot easier to get that kit rolled out through carbide way faster than the HDZ. Hopefully soon

I know this has been brought up a few times, but I can’t find anything now. Has anyone tested to compare the accuracy/repeatability of those cheap prox sensors vs the stock (name brand, not as cheap) limit switches?

I haven’t seen anything, but I know with my limit switches I had some issues with repeatability after homing. I did the Star Wars Aztec calendar and had to shut the machine down between the v carve and the cutout with an end mill. Left the zero alone between the two runs and the cutout was about an 1/8” off. So I figured I would give these a shot and see how it goes since it is a cheap easy/reversible modification.