PVC Board for Signs

I recently hear about PVC board. I’ve never seen it before. How is it to work with? Where is the best place to buy it? TIA!

There are two forms of PVC boards. There is solid and there is foam core. The solid is best for most cnc work. The foam core is foam and once you cut into the outer pvc veneer the foam is not weather resistant and is a different texture and maybe color.

Some big box stores carry it or you could order it and have delivered to your local store. Lowes, Home Depot and Menards carry it but not in every store.

They make 4’x8’ sheets and they also make it as trim boards that are much smaller in size. The PVC can be glued together with the plumbing PVC glue and can be cut with regular woodworking tools.

PVC is weather resistant and stable so it is a good choice for outdoor projects and signs. It can be used indoors but is more expensive than wood. PVC can take paint so it is a versitile material.

5 Likes

Good to know I can use it outdoors. I didn’t realize it would be pricier than wood. Maybe I’ll just stick to plywood if that’s the case. Looking for inexpensive, lightweight options for signs.

I used it on a project recently with help from @baricl who uses it extensively.

Search for PVC to find some of the posts.
I bought 10” wide boards at Lowes and then cut to length and used PVC glue to edge glue to get the width I wanted.

I hear that some box stores have it in sheets but I have not seen that.

That PVC glue acts fast so you can start to work the board in minutes. It machines really well but get the bits suited for it for best results.

1 Like

Krylon Fusion Rattle Cans are perfect for PVC painting. I use PVC pretty extensively, and I have even cut my vacuum holddown spoilboards from it. It machines beautifully, I do prefer an 0flute bit. But even my keyhole bits work great for hanging signs. This on is on 3/4 from that big orange box store.

7 Likes

Good to know! Super helpful!

1 Like

Do you have a link to where you buy your PVC boards? I just want to make sure I’m finding the right stuff!

I buy it from Home Depot. I understand that not all stores carry it, and I don’t know why. The stores here in Charleston SC carry it in .25, .5, and .75 inch 2x4’ sheets, and a 4x8 .5" sheet. I have ordered it from HD online for larger size .75 inch sheets… 8’ long and I think they came from Maine but the shipping was free. The local Lowes stores do not carry it except as trimboard for housing. Go to HomeDepot.com and search PVC sheets.

2 Likes

Both Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards carry it here in detroit. Search for PVC trim board. “Royal Building Products” are a common brand. Lowes and Menards carry the boards. And Home Depot carries the panels in 2 x 4 foot and 2 x 8 foot. In 1/2 and 3/4 inch sheet. At least here in michigan. AZEK is another brand

1 Like

Nice job on the DOCK sign Here’s one of the larger ones i made with PVC. I believe it was 33 x 17. A local lady had me make this one for her daughters coffee truck

4 Likes

I had this one on the back window of my truck for a while. Everyone loved it. I had people stop me and ask where i got it or honk when they passed me. Or maybe they were honking because i was going too slow. :frowning:

I find that people love the subject of the design almost more than the design itself

Im retired

Here’s another one everyone likes.

desktop

5 Likes

Lol! Who knows why people honk for anything anymore? Love the sign!

1 Like

Charleston, that’s almost a neighbor. I live just outside Savannah.

Edge gluing the trim boards from Lowe’s isn’t bad and you can decide whether you want the wood grain side or plain. I will have to check the local Home Depot to see if they have the sheets.

2 Likes

I went to a turners club in Texarkana a few years ago. One of the members had a tee shirt that said

“This is as dressed up as I get, I’m retired”

I thought it was funny.

1 Like

I used to screen print on pvc board, and one thing to keep in mind is the plastic often has contamination that can make paints or inks ‘bloom’ around the oils. A wash with TSP would take the impurities off, but be careful even with skin oils.

5 Likes

@dustmite you are 100% correct. I wipe PVC down with Acetone before I paint it.

3 Likes

Good to know! Things I wouldn’t even think of.

Its a product that is really versatile and surprisingly strong we use it for clip in shelves and a load of display stuff. I also like the metal coated version

3 Likes

I had no idea this stuff even existed! Where did you get the metal-coated version?

That looks like a thin sheet of aluminum composite material (ACM) bonded to something else. ACM is pretty easy to cut as well. The core is usually PE, though. I’ve never seen it done with PVC.

3 Likes