PwnCNC spindle kit voids the warranty?

I am from Germany and purchased a Pro XL 19 months ago and a PwnCNC spindle kit 220V 5 months ago. It was working great and it was simply plug and play no soldering or any other modification were required. Simply connect the VFD cable with the controller.
The Pro started to have disconnects and even if I did all the things that are mentioned to avoid EMI it was getting worse and worse and it started to loose the parameters that are downloaded when you set up the machine the first time and now it is dead completely.
Service took a long time to come to the conclusion that the controller is likely the reason but told me that since I am using a PwnCNC spindle kit that will void my warranty.
I find that strange since the VFD is plugged into the same port that Carbide spindle kit is using and there is no other modification done.
So I wonder if other have made similar experiences with service and using a PwnCNC spindle kit with their Pro.
When I searched in this forum I got the impression that service was great and if you are disconnecting the VFD and and problem is still there then it is still a warranty issue that is covered. May be things have changed in the last couple of months.

Generally speaking this is how it should work:

• If you’re just plugging something into one of our existing ports, no warranty is automatically voided. (But we will not help debug any problems involving that accessory)
  • If you plug something into a port and that port is damaged, or the whole board is damaged, we would not replace the anything under warranty.

I’ll go look for your ticket to see what’s going on.

3 Likes

I do understand that Rob. Of course if I plug in another spindle into the port you are not helping me with problems that has to do with the spindle but when I remove the spindle and the VFD is no longer connected to the controller and the controller still behaves weird then IMO it is a case where the warranty should not be voided since the port is designed to output a signal and the PwnCNC spindle simple receives that. Since the whole thing was working great for several months it is unlikely that I destroyed the port by plugging in the PwnCNC spindle.

Rob Grzesek kindly offered to replace the PCB since it seems that he kind of agrees with my own assessment that connecting a PwnCNC spindle to the PCB spindle port is NOT a modification that voids the warranty.
I had already purchased a new PCB board and it was delivered yesterday but after I connected it I recognized that it is as dead as the one that I wanted to replace.
Luckily I had another one that has a broken y motor connection. So I tested it with this old PCB and voila things showed that all cables and the power worked well with this board so now I am sure they sent me a broken new PCB.
So to clarify it seems that not all service people know that so far Carbide does not see the use of a PwnCNC spindle connected to the spindle port as voiding the warranty. So my advice is if such a thing happens to you, you may share it here and other people may read it and contact you.
Anyway that restored my high estimation of the servive that Carbide is doing.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.