Question about leveling epoxy resin; 1/4" O-Flute vs McFly

Curious to hear what everyone likes to use when leveling a resin pour in hardwood.

I’ve used both 1/4" O-flute and McFly on different projects and I don’t recall a difference in the results. Obviously faster to use the McFly, but I’m curious what factors influence using one over the other.

Thanks!

I have used a #201 that I reserve for epoxy, but I am typically doing 4” diameter coasters so not must area to deal with.

2 Likes

I use my mcfly without thinking twice

3 Likes

Technically epoxy is plastic in its properties for machining on the CNC however a fly type bit is more efficient and faster.

I do a lot of epoxy fills but I dont level it on the Shapeoko. I have a jet 16-32 Drum sander and use it to remove epoxy over fill. I usually surface it down until there is a light film left and then finish with a random orbit sander. I have tried my Dewalt 735 planner but have pulled epoxy out using it. However if I were going to use the Shapeoko to level epoxy fill I would use the fly bit. Just take very light doc cuts and go fast or you can burn your wood on the project. I typically take 0.010" passes to level my spoilboard or if going to level and epoxy fill. You can level down to the surface of the wood but I tend to always go one more pass then I should and very shallow carving can disappear. That is why I leave a light film of epoxy and then use the hand help sander to finish the epoxy over fill.

3 Likes

Thanks Guy - That’s really good information and I appreciate the reasoning behind the process. That’s exactly what I was looking for, so this is really helpful.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.